1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much Diesel rebuid

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sledneck24x, Feb 25, 2009.

1. sledneck24x

sledneck24x Senior Member

Does anyone know how much it costs to rebuild a 2001 7.3L diesel engine?

2. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Any idea what hatched? The 7.3 is almost bulletproof.........Elaborate.

Coolant in oil? Blow by? Rod thru Block?

3. sledneck24x

I am more or less looking for a reference cause im looking at a 2001 F250 with 285,000 miles and am not sure on how much longer it will last. cause i dont want to buy it and in 6 months have it blow up cause of last owner.

4. sledneck24x

i probably shouldnt worry bout it til it happens but i just wanted to know how much it might cost cause my buddiy just bought a 04 and just found out its going to cost 2700 bucks cause the Gaskets are shot

5. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

T

The 04 is a 6.0. One of their most costly failures is the head gaskets. I would never install the gaskets without putting in aftermarket head studs. The 6.0 factory studs will not allow enough torque to get a positive head gasket seal.

The 7.3 is entirely a different engine all together. A well maintained 7.3 with 285K is just getting to her sweet spot. Well maintained 7.3 engines have been known in excess of 750K. I have personaly seen that.

Any way, I can recomend a couple mechanics in NW Wi that could look at the truck before you buy.