1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much did he expect to pay?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joe Lombardo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Just had a complaint from a customer. As some of you know we had over 24 inches of snow last weekend. I plow his driveway two times during the storm he calls and said he'd shovel the rest. My normal charge for over 8 inches of snow is my rate plus one half so if I charge $50 it would cost you $75. This storm I used the same rate but added just $10.00 to his driveway because I didn't have to return for the third time. I think he got a great deal, he thinks I over charges him. How did you guys bill this storm?

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

For residential I charge 50% more for 6-10" double up to 12". For this storm I'm charging all residential triple. I am also sending a letter giving an overview of what the storm required my company to do to make sure all our customers were taken care of. And they were. I am also specifically telling them not to complain to me about their price in this letter. We made out really well with the storm. Several breakdowns that proved to be easy fixes. Got stuck only a few times and no complaints! Everyone was real appreciative and happy with our service. Had all the churches open for Sunday. HOA's were very happy. Overall, for us, a good experience. I went 108 hrs with a combined 7hrs of sleep, though. He got a very good deal.

3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I would have charged my standard rate for each time I was there. If I come 10 times and plow 3 inches off each time, and your standard rate is $35, youre going to pay $350.

4. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

There may be some misunderstanding in how he reads your contract. I think he got a great deal too but you might want to consider spelling out specifics in your future contracts and have something that covers this sort of thing.

I myself would have charged even more. My contracts speel things out on a per inch basis. If it got ugly and there was a disagreement, all I would have to do is pull the contract out and show them the math. The work is the work. Do you think a contractor would give you a break repairing your house if he got into it and saw there wa a lot more to it? Hell no. An autobody repair guy that is painting/repairing your car/truck and finding a ton of bondo that needed to be redone? No! No one else is going to give you a break....so why in the hell should you? I mean heck, if you like working for less just because it's more work then go ahead. Just stay away from my area so you don't start to kill the profit potential here. or...give me your number so I can get you to sub for me in the future. :waving: Just my .00002 cents worth. :salute:

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal rate...I'm still ahead from last year plus this year is a bonus too, difference is I and the truck actually had to work this week.Thumbs Up

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I would drop em', and no charge no charge!

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Thumbs Up payup

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'd tell him to go F*@# himself with a rusty pipe.

9. rebert

rebert Senior Member

seasonal is bet way to go over an extended time.. if not than per push, in 24'' i would have plowed min 2x possibly 3.

10. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

I charge every 8" on residentails and I charged all my residentails 3x havent had anyone complain.

11. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Per push. If i show up, you pay; if i don't, you don't pay.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Using your rates/example he should have been charged $150.00.
    I use a 60% bump per jump in rate and haven't had any push back from Resi's or Commercial accounts.

Sounds like this customer is just trying to see how far he can bend you over, I'd explain/ remind them of the price structure and if they still do see they're not being screwed I'd part ways.

13. Paulie's Plowin

Paulie's Plowin Member

My average customer I charge 1-6" 50-75 7-12" 75-125 13-18 100- 175

14. cheffy

cheffy Junior Member
    from Sconsin

For what its worth we had about 20" storm in wisconsin in december . I plowed for 3 days straight on four hours of sleep . Loved it ! Now down to the billing I bill on a scale 1-6 6-9 9-12 and $ 75.00 per hour after that . I made a beautiful basket of much needed revenue in those three days only had one person ***** about it . I plowed her drive twice in the storm and salted twice . was supposed to be 45+10 and 45+10 for a total of 110.00. She called after I sent the bill Said I did not plow it twice and did not salt at all. I told her I did my job and would like to be payed she said no I asked her what she felt was the right amount to pay.She sent me $45.00 . I will never plow out that ***** again. If she calls again I will tell her my good customers come first and I dont have time.

15. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I just don't get the charge difference in inches and discounts to come back after the first time. If it's too confusing for me as a contractor who does snow plowing, I can see why customers have issues. Per push and their is no confusion and room for arguing exactly how many inches were on the ground. So you show up the first time and get 100%. You show up the 2nd time and charge 60%. Why? Where did you pick up 40 reductions since the first round? Your equipment sits without income for what.........350 days out of 365. You are offering a premium service. Charge for it. I compare our business to every other business. Friends of mine just went on a cruise. The cruise wasn't all that bad of a price. But they charge $6.00 a beer. Why? Because they can. You get a blizzard and you guys get cheaper? I jdon't get it. You're going without sleep. Time away from your family. Your equipment is taking a beating. It takes you days to recover.

16. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

What if you get 6" ? Does that fall in the 1-6 inches or the 6-9 inches?
    You get 20" storm? Why would you salt in the middle of the storm when it's coming down that heavy? And why let a customer just pay whatever and you're just ok with letting it go? Why is it so easy to let go of money that you've earned? Send her a letter stating she has until this date to pay or late fees will be added. And this date to pay or you will file with the magistrates office and then court costs will be added. Get your money.

17. NJlandscaper908

NJlandscaper908 Member
    from NJ

He got a deal. If I was doing it we would have charged $400 for 24" of snow. For residential we do $100 for 2"-4" then $100 + $15 per inch for each inch over 4". It's a flat rate for the storm no matter how many times we visit.

If he does't like it tell him you'll put the snow back for him...For Free! That's a deal if I ever heard one!

18. Bison

Bison Member

For starters I wouldn't let him off the hook for the money. If he wants to be on your list for plowing then he needs to be plowed , why is he on the list if he only wants some of the snow moved ? Explain to him by rights he should pay a full storm amount since he tied up a slot that could have been used by another customer who actually wanted to be plowed . You gave him a break on the price which is more then fair , you did not overcharge him and you did most of the heavy lifting for cleaning up the storm . Be calm , explain it to him that he cost you money in a business that doesn't always give many chances to make money in . Who knows that may have been the last plowable storm this season. Once you get your money and the check clears I would dump him and replace him with someone else. I've been doing resi's for 25 years and have a zero tolerance for cheapskate shenanagins....

19. gonorth16

gonorth16 Junior Member
    from so.nh

Just had a customer complain to me about her $120 bill for her driveway, 26"of snow in NH . I cleared it 3 times during the storm, and even went back to clear the front of drive that the town plowed in again. She told me that she felt that $120 was too much as it took me only a 1.5hrs to clear it. I showed her the pricing , the same pricing we went over in september when I got the account. Well after an hr of going back and forth with this lady I got in my truck and stared plowing the snow back into her driveway. Well I must say that her and husband were real quick to pull out the $$$ but it was past the point of no return. I would not accept any money and put 26" of snow back into the driveway. She called the town and police on me, which both of them just laughed and basically told the lady why didnt you just pay your bill?

20. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

There ya go!!:laughing: