1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much can you make in a season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Detroitdan, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've been out of it for a few years, used to just do a few driveways for fun and extra pocket money. I'm thinking about putting a 9 footer on my 1 ton and starting again, this time with less residential driveways (due to the size of the truck) and more small lots and private roads. What kind of money is there to be made nowadays?

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Depends on how much you think its gonna snow.

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I friend of mine has 4 vehicles on our town, 10 wheeler, loader, backhoe, and i forget the 4th.....he brought in $212,000 last year.......

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

LOL, that's an impossible question. Nobody can predict if and when it's going to snow.

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Guys out of my old pit had...

Hi,I know this isnt NH but in Notheast Mass the guys out of my old pit had over 400 hours last season.
    With a small six wheeler(1ton) x $64 per hour to give you an idea. payup
    On the other hand I've had 55 hour seasons in the past. :cry:

6. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

the boss is right.

7. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I only have two customers that pay by season upfront, I get $ 2000.00 per customer weather it snows or not. Only problem I have with that is I knida spend the money :cry: before I have it, or should I say the wife does :nono:

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It all depends, how many accounts you have, how much it snows, and what your overhead costs are (fuel, truck, plow, insurance).

11. digit

digit Member

Its not how much you money you bring in it's how much you have left over after expences ect. ect.

LWNMWRMAN22 How can you handle 15 accounts that take one hour each don't they need to be cleaned first thing in the morning? All mine need to be done by approx. 7 AM.

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

All contracts are lots will be cleared within 24 hours from the end of the snowfall.

I've got a couple of industrial places that take about 2 hours each.

If it's still snowing at 4 am, they get plowed when they shut down after 5 that afternoon. I'll plow the dock area, or right in front of the office, but only if they call and need it.

Usually if it's snowing, alot of sales calls and deliveries are put off for a day. However I will help them out.

As far as the rest, some need to be cleaned by 6 am, some by 7 am, a couple of strip malls by 8 am, and 2 liquor stores by 10 am. Everyone knows that I'll get to the lot as soon as possible, and if it stops snowing at 6 am, not everyone can be first on the list

Now I know not everyone will go along with this, but I’ve gotten the contracts over the years so it all works out.

I start plowing as soon as the storm is over, or there’s 2-3” of snow on the ground. As long as I start by midnight, I can cut enough corners to have all the accounts usable by 8 am. Then I drive back and clear out the corners, whatnot.

If I get going by 3 pm, everyone can be cleared out by 6 am and I’m in bed by 9 am.

13. digit

digit Member

That would be nice having some accounts that don't need to be done till later in the day.
    Do you do all these with a truck and what is the biggest lot you do with a pickup?
    I just got back from looking at a new store parking lot going back tonight to get some measurements when there not as many people around. I just dont know if i can do with pickup or if I need to put backhoe there.