1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much can you handle?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Sep 15, 2007.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I am wondering how many on here ,who work a Full time job, take on eith commercial,residential a combination of work and how much.For example, do you take comp time to perform your work on a snow day, go in late perform work before after you finish Full time job.Do you customers understand.Your bread and butter is your full time job how much can you handle.Do you salt or just plow.Curious!
  2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I work full time for a public school system. I don't do snow for my regular job because they hammer the taxes on OT. So... I save my vacation days, comp time etc. for when it snows and I go work for someone else... And yeah I still get paid for my regular job when I take off to go plow..:D And when we get no snow...like last year...I end up with alot of time to take off in the spring.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I subcontract and have a few of my own contracts and driveways.
    I work Private Ambulance. Everyone has pagers, I have them page out my shift. If no one takes it, I then call off if it's big event. They dangle OT and people come out of the wood work to work. I trade shifts if it's a sure thing coming to town.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have yet to miss a day because of snow. I will plow until it is undercontol then the guys who are laid off in the winter will finish and I can go to work. The only problem is the candle burning on both ends.:dizzy: If it snows really bad, in construction work stops, then I can finish plowing!
  5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I am self employed, buy work full time as a contractor. I just get up early, go plow, and when that is done, I go to work!
  6. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I work in IT. I have a very flexible schedule and can come and go as I need. It pretty much all evens out since I don't get any extra pay for being on call or getting page at 1am. As long as my primary job is taken care of my boss doesn't give me **** over my hours. Last year I had only 5 regular driveways. I was hoping to pick up about 10 more for this year.

I know have a pretty decent commercial account on the table. If I secure that, I won't even bother looking for any additional customers for residential plowing.
  7. 4tulips

4tulips Junior Member

Are you a contractor or a moonlighter?

I believe the right answer is when you are no longer able to meet your customers' expectations. I also believe that it is irritating to have to compete against moonlighters who don't have to carry the same financial load of a fully self employed contractor. Since price is determined by the contractor's financial load and what the market will bear, what is a moonlighters' price? From a customer standpoint, what kind of service will they receive during a storm of long duration? How can a moonlighter properly service a commercial business? And if a moonlighter becomes bored, tired, or overwhelmed, which job will he choose to stick with?
  8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I think you will find the majority of folks here have other jobs...... I am am FT firefighter, I just take vacation or comp time when the snow flies....
  9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'm a self employed roofer, when it's snowing we can't roof so we plow snow to pay the bills and get my employees some hours. for all of you with jobs working for others.... why do your take vacation days off to work more??? i think if i worked for someone else i would spend my vacation days taking a vacation or spending time with the family.
  10. 4tulips

4tulips Junior Member

OK, so moonlighting might work for residential customers, but what if your commercial customer calls you during business hours a couple of days after a storm to service a drift or icy spot?
  11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I am at the fire house only 1 out of three days..... And I have plenty of time off to vacation and I am home with my wife and kids on the two days I don't work. Plus my kids are in school during the day.....

So if a storm hits on my work day I either trade time or take comp / vacation hours. No big deal.... It actually works well....... I can't vacation in the winter anyway because my wife works and it could snow....
  12. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I work construction for myself and I plow until I am done and then I go in. I have called into other jobs and said I was plowing and would not be in. All my jobs know before hand that I plow snow in the winter.
  13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I couldn't agree more if I had vacation days they would be for vacation or to do things around my house not to go work more.

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

To begin with I am not a " moonlighter " I am a subcontractor.
    I am also a professional driver and have been since I was 19.
    By subcontracting for a contractor I relieve him of the burden of having trucks and many employees. He has insurance, contracts and when he calls I go do cleanup. Subcontractors can a necessary part of business in snow removal. We are not scabs or lowballers. If we had to make a living off of snow removal for the last 2 seasons we would now be homeless.
  15. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Trap & plow snow

I guess maybe I'm one of the few guys that does plow snow as a primary winter income. I've always done my own things,... having never had a full-time job as someone's employee, ever in my life. (And I have to turn around & look back at 50,.. :salute: ). I fish in the summer, hunt in the fall, plow snow & trap in the winter,... and actually do ok when it's all said & done. We all have to make a buck doing something,... seems like the key is to be able to do that, while doing something that you really enjoy,... whatever it may be... :waving:

Donna & her 240.4 (Small).JPG

Caribou, Oct. 30 2006 (Medium).JPG

Strelna Jan 2007 (Small).JPG

Inside angling with wings (Small).JPG
  16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

very nice truck and other pics!! get some more of the truck!! :)
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You know you have too much to handle when your phone doesn't stop ringing!!!

Nice pics Alaska Boss. That fish is huge!!