1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much can it snow hourly?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Say in the northeast in NJ areas? I cant remember it snowing ever more than say 2" an hour and that was maybe for an hour or two before it tapered off a little.

We have some contracts for full routes for sub contracting work where the company gave us two full truck routes. The businesses are supposed to be plowed or can be at every 2".

Now all businesses on each route are close together but there are only 4 total.

This requires us to dedicate TWO trucks to only 8 total sites that are not close to any of our other work in NJ. Each truck has 4 sites...they can all be done in an hour or less

Each trucks route would take about 4-5 hours to do and thats probably during a normal snow storm. The problem is, if were only salting or plowing a 4" snow storm, we plow 2x and were done fairly quickly. Would it be fair to say we could handle more properties per truck if they were close enough? Or is this mainly to keep in favor of the sub contractor so that they get get as many 2" snow pushes as possible. Seems to me, theyd rather make a killing per fast heavy storm than for us to have more places and maybe have to push 3-4" if it got real bad out.. Of course theyre not looking out for our best interests.. have you ever dealt with a similar scenario? If these places all were close to us, i wouldnt mind.
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

3 years ago we had 3 inches per hour once...for only 2 out of 28 hours of snow...
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

In this area Ive never seen it more than 2-3" / HR and that is really coming down. Your not driving in that around here anyways. You need to be where your going at that point. Out on the west coast Ive seen it come down at 8+" / Hr, but that is not something youd see here.

I think the situation is that the trucks are tapped out cause you wouldnt be able to keep up at big storms with more accounts. Average good storm is 1/2" or so an hour so 4 hours is about where your at. A NJ blizzard of 1" / HR would leave you at more than 4 hours so there you go.Could always have a few on call Subs ready to go in the area. Use them for one pass in between your passes on the heavy days. Since its not real common fees would be minimal.
  4. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

I have seen and plowed in 5 inchs/hr. Couldn't see what I was doing except for when the lighting lite up the sky lol
  5. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I have seen 4"/hr very hard to see at that point. Yeah, the lightening is always fun.