1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much can 2 trucks do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Double C, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

I have 2 chevy trucks w/ meyer 8ft str8 blades, and only one contract so far for this upcomming season that will take less than a hour to do, a subdivision road. looking for options on how much more to look for? or opinions on what to look for? Have the chance to add a one ton with a 9ft western mpv for a good buy to my trucks. What would you do???

2. ACS

ACS Member

2 trucks and 1 contract and you dont know what you can handle. Is it your first season plowing? If so Just take as much as you think you can handle. But make sure you always bid on every job you can because your not always going to get it . So I would say if you have a dedicated driver for your second truck you should be fine for a MIN of 60 drive ways. I dont know what else of work you do but I dont think you need a 3rd truck. Unless you got money to blow!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't say what yr. your trucks are. But yes bid everything. 2 trucks with full time drivers can knock out a lot of work. Nothing wrong either with a spare tuck for backup.

4. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Like they said bid everything, you never know what you will get, and if you get alot of jobs go for the third truck.

5. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

the trucks with the plows are an 1983 and 1991, the other truck is a 1996 one ton

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

where are you located?

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

yes.....:waving:

8. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

Just outside helena, montana

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

1 account,
    2 trucks,

START BIDDING ASAP

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What condition are these trucks in, I see the newest is a 91? I've seen some 91's that look like they are about to fall apart at any moment and run like crap, I've also seen some that look as good as they day they were new. The same goes for your 83. Also are these 1/2, 3/4 or 1tons? A little more info on the trucks may be necessary so we can possibly give a better idea of what you can handle. If they are both in poor condition your 1 account might be all they can handle with breakdowns and slow plowing. If they are good condition and can plow quickly and reliably they are obviously able to do more in the same amount of time as a poor working truck.

11. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

both are 1/2 tons as for contition I would say that they are both about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 mechanially sound and well taken care of. both are used daily on the farm.

12. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

From the research i'v done i feel that i could easy get more that eoungh work for these two trucks which is why i was thinking about adding the third.( 97 one ton with a v) just looking for info about the abilty a one truck ie 30 driveways, or 15 small to med sized lots? or one big lot like a Costco for both trucks?

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Being that both are halftons the main thing to watch is the transmissions. Heat is the killer, the cooler you can keep them the better. I plow the same stuff with my 1/2ton as my boss does with his 1ton and the only advantage he has is that he doesn't have to watch his temps as much as I do. We both have about the same size blades (9.2v his, 7.6 straight with wings (9.7ft) mine). His trans temp will not move at all plowing, mine goes between 140 and 190 depending on how much I'm pushing.

14. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

thanks for the info

15. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

How long can you and your guy stay awake?

16. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

were farmer's we run 24/7 if we have to. Why and where in montana are you?

17. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

Bozeman? want a sub?