1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much bumper is cut on an 08 gmc/chevy 2500/3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChicagoPlower, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

Does anyone own a 08 gmc/chevy 2500 or 3500hd with a boss or western plow. How much cutting of the bumper was necessary if any? The front of the truck is so nice, I'd hate to mess with it too much.

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have the Ultra mount from Western. Nothing had to be cut. However, when you hook and unhook the plow the hook's from the legs do rub the valance while going into place. You do loose your tow hooks.

BTW ... the front bumper is all stamped plastic minus one thin walled brace that it all screws on to. Your rear bumper will not hold the trucks weight either The read is a combination of plastic and flex spring tin. The rear bumper is only rated at 2.5mph dead on center otherwise it will collapse instantly - no kidding. ( I'll post pictures of my new rear bumper soon )

3. ChicagoPlower

scottLL- That doesn't sound too good. What year is your truck. You would think for the amount of money being paid for a truck that is built for work, things like that shouldn't happen. Which engine do you have and how is it working so far?

4. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

for the boss frame some has to be cut.

5. scottL

The official stamp date on the truck is 2007. But, most say NBS 2007 or simply 2008. It's the 6.0L, crew cab 8' box.

I think it's mostly good. A few items I felt they over looked or cheeped out on. Bumpers are crap. That's really a systemic problem with the industry now. A few years back the insurance, Highway safety and auto industry got together and lowered the bumper requirements. It's now 2.5 mph straight on and dead center - otherwise they serve no purpose. Fender metal is as thin as they can make it with out the wind crinkling them. It's just the way of the industry now. Trans temp issues too.

Windshield wiper blades - the way they mount on the arms allows for freeze up. Front defrosters do not hit the lower part of the windshield. Ground straps and static from exiting the vehicle. I could go on and on. But, the engine runs, trans shifts and she works like a dog otherwise.

6. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

^^^ i agree on the windshield. Pain in the ass during the storms.

Nothing was cut on my bumper for my Ultramount. When you put the plow on, the legs just barely clear it when you turn them up (on mine at least).

7. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

HAHA YES!! the static, im driving a 07 chevy 3/4 and the static is horrible, always affraid of touching the door when getting out :gunsfiring:

8. scottL

I look at it as my little AED ( heart starter :realmad: )

9. ChicagoPlower

Thanks for the info- I need the truck as a sweet daily driver and a plow truck able to tow up to 8,000#. I just have to weigh all the pros and cons of this truck and some others. I've read a bunch of posts on another truck website from guys with problems as well. Some not so minor. It's funny, my 2000 3500 dump has been worked like a beast for eight years and I've never had a problem. Maybe trucks just used to be built more simple and solid.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008