1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much ballast?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by canoebuildah, Nov 10, 2007.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I just had an 810 installed on my 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW with alum rack body.

I used the ballast calculator on the Blizzard website and came up with "0 lbs ballast required". I used all the weights from the label on the inside of the drivers door.

I asked the installer and he told me that Blizzard recommends that ballast should be the same weight of the plow which is 950 lbs. That seems high to me and he didn't look it in any book.

How much ballast do you users of the 810 put in your truck? Where is the best place for it? Directly over the rear axle? Spread evenly through the bed?

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Blizzard's website recommends 950lb for my 2500HD with the 810 setup. The best place for ballast is as far back as possible. Directly over the axle doesn't help much at all, and forward of the axle is worse than none at all.

My ballast varies now that I have a spreader... It's somewhere between 2200 lb and 150 lb, depending on how much salt I've put down :) . But when I ran with just the plow, I had around 750 lb of ballast. I built a plywood box that fit snugly against the tailgate and put in sandbags. Remember to anchor your ballast!!
  3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I ran 750# in my 2500hd reg cab last year. Now that i bought my superduty xcab long bed With the plow up it barely drops the front. I will still probably put 300-400# at the tailgate just for traction.
  4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

nevrnf, you still need to put the same amount of ballast in the superduty this year. even though the front doesn't squat as much as the chevy, you still need the same 750 lb for traction even more-so with the diesel.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

weight/ballast/counter weight does help a lot with traction but it also balances out your truck.
    You just hung #600-#800+ off of the front it is like lever lifting the rear even if the front does not squat at all.

It will also stop the rear from fish tailing, aid in braking, traction and improve handling.
  6. usnrs

usnrs Junior Member

i dumped a yard and a half of sand into the bed of my f-350. the upside is that i can push more snow than anyone out there except the loader when it comes out. i can litterally watch trucks push until they spin there tires and stop, then i can hit it and push the pile all night long. that's awsome, right? until i goto the pump - my 99 f350 with the v-10, thousand pound plow up front and 3700lbs of sand in the back equals about 4mpg.
  7. capt4nocfa

capt4nocfa Junior Member

this time of year I purchase all my water softener salt and "store" it in the covered bed of my truck. I usually have 900# or so at the start of the season then i use it as i need it. works for me.. I don't have a salter or anything like that yet- still trying to get permission from the minister of finances :).

No matter what you do think safety- secure any solid ballast, and I mean bolt it down, make it part of the truck or use something that will come apart in a crash, like a bag of sand or salt. remember in a crash whatever is not secured in the bed is a projectile. Solid stuff is like a bullet and will go right into or through things, if the bagged stuff gets loose it will just blow apart on impact and not penetrate- but will still do damage. no matter what keep it secured..