1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much ballast?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

How much ballast should I have in the back of my truck? I have a 95 Dodge 1500, short box with plow package (heavy springs in the front, raising the plow lowers the front of the truck by about 1-1.5") The plow is a Meyer's, not sure of the weight and I haven't measured the width, but I think it is 7.5' or 8'. My idea was to line the bottom of the bed with cinder blocks, this would give me weight and a flat surface so that I could still put things in the back. If done right, they wouldn't shift around to much. I have a bedliner so scratching isn't a concern. Anything else that I should keep in mind?

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

You got the ballast.
    Meyer's plows make great ballast.
    Now you just need a plow.

3. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

I've got a 2500 (long bed) and, at a minimum, keep 5 bags of salt (400 lbs) and a spreader (I think 125 lbs). No probs.
    Bob

4. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Ballast

John,

LMAO...

Rems,

Check out Fisher's new web site. They have a lot of tech info onhand. The ballast figure may be a little on the heavy side for you, since the Meyers blades are lighter.

http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/22457_040100.PDF

Dave

[Edited by DaveO on 01-12-2001 at 12:42 PM]

5. RB

RB Senior Member

Hey John,

Stop slamm'n the best plows and pumps made -- MEYER!
    lol.

Ron

P.S.
    I've only plowed storms less than 3" so far. lol

6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

RB,
    You're right.
    Best danged ballast on the market today.

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

This plow came with the truck. I'm not exactly happy with the Meyers plow either, but I've made a few adjustments to it and it seem to be working good now. It is giving me a good idea of what to look for when I buy a new plow.

8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Remsen1,

Heres another idea of what to look for when buying a new plow.

FISHER

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Remsen1,

The amount of ballast will depend on where in the box you put it: 1000lbs if you put it up front, 500lbs. if at the tailgate. Split it and put 700-800lbs. over the axle.

Granted, Meyer isn't my favorite brand either, but some of these guys must have difficulty reading sales reports because Meyer has sold more plows than anybody else except Western.

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Just because they sell alot of plows doesnt make them the best.However I will saythat their plows 8' and up are alot better built than the 7.5' and down.
    Dino

11. Kent Lawns

The Old Husky (7.5' 34" tall, with big sector) was the best.
    We've had pretty good luck with the M-9's as well.

12. Dusty

Dusty Member

The best plow is the one that makes you money without headaches!

13. Kent Lawns

The best plow is the one that the most productive.

You can earn money with a snow shovel without headaches.

14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'm going to knock on wood before posting this one. I have spare Meyer pumps, plows, & parts galore because they are always breaking down in the middle of the night. But I have to tell you I just put an old, beat up ST-90 and a 3 or 4 year old E-60 through quite a beating with out one problem. It plowed about 12 hours for a 2" snow, about 50 hours of 20" snow, 20 more hours of touch ups from the 20" storm, and another 18 hours of 2" storm. I don't think I've ever put more than 30 hours on any of the Meyer set ups without something breaking. I'm truly amazed & quite lucky I suppose. But if you don't want to deal with the worry & keeping spare stuff around, go with the Fisher. I always ask my plowing friends with Fishers where we can get them serviced & we all have the same answer: we don't know because we've never had a problem with them to get fixed.

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Re: Ballast

I plugged in my numbers to their formula, came out to something like 32,000lbs-think somethings wrong with the formula.

I was surprised to see how much my plow + accessories weighs in total-over 1000 lbs with urethane edge.

16. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

All the talk about ballast in the bed, heck, I need to figure out how to get ballast on a 7.5 Meyer blade!!! The thing just sucks at small ice deposits- I have a Western of the same size that is MUCH better.

17. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Try and get the weight of the framework and plow or have the truck weighed at a weight station and look on your title for weight of your vehicle and compensate that in the rear of the truck. You may ahve to adjust accordingly after that but it will get you close.

18. Redmowers

Redmowers Junior Member

A 4'X 8'sheet of 3/8 plate steel works well in one truck,no wasted space in the bed.

19. Redmowers

Redmowers Junior Member

And on the front of that truck is a pre Meyers Diamond 8' plow when the hydraulic res was on the frame and the pump under the hood.