1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much Ballast?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pete_4410, Feb 6, 2013.

1. pete_4410

pete_4410 Junior Member

I run an 01 f550 with a 9ft fisher mm1 and i wanted to know how much ballast i should have?
    the only thing i have right now is two dump tailgates in the back that weigh a couple hundred pounds each is that enough?

2. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

Does it have a dump body ? If so a yard or two of sand

3. pete_4410

pete_4410 Junior Member

yes it has a dump body but no tailgate. the tailgates i have in the back are to small and came from other dump bodies. i could put pallets of sand with ratchet straps.

4. mackclmodel

That should work, how's the rubber on the truck ?

5. pete_4410

pete_4410 Junior Member

not the best it could use rear tires.

6. mackclmodel

What do you plow ? Lots or streets

7. pete_4410

pete_4410 Junior Member

i only plow streets

8. mackclmodel

For Taunton ? Have the loader guy give you a 1/2 bucket and put the hammerdown. The cops won't brake your balls for not having a tailgate

9. pete_4410

pete_4410 Junior Member

ok and you don't think any of it will fall out

10. mackclmodel

I asssume the truck has a 8 or 9' dump body, it shouldnt be a problem if it is take a shovel and trim it up a little. Get ready for some serious money your looking at almost 2ft of snow for taunton area payup

11. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

The sand with ratchet straps dosnt sound bad but im no where close to expert.

12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Just dump bulk sand into the truck and shovel any a foot or so away from the back edge of the bed. You'll be fine. The more weight the better.

13. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

when my 4x4 went out i put 500 lbs of salt and a couple hundred of snow. feeling the difference it made i wish i was a little closer to 1000 lbs. probably a bit much for my truck, but when i do have a bigger truck i plan on always having around 1000 lbs.

plastic 55 gallon drums are great for it. 3 of them gives you around 1200 lbs of water, and is easy to dispose of in the spring.

14. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I highly advise not doing the 55 gallon barrels. Tried that when I bought my first truck. Can't see in the rearview mirror if you use it. I personally don't use it much as I'm used to pulling trailers constantly, but sandbags you'll be fine with.

I put 1500 pounds of sand in my 3/4 ton with or without the plow on it, if I'll be putting the plow on and taking it off at least. Otherwise if the plow is off for a long time or I'm going on a trip I only have 200-300 in the bed. Makes me wonder if someone put 1 ton suspension on my truck.

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Who even need a Ballast for that truck The dump body should take care of the ballast

16. birddseedd

lay them on their side.

17. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

Why would you even run ballast?

18. birddseedd

it makes a HUGE difference. iv been having to go without 4x4 lately. the only way iv been able to is using ballast. so iv seen first hand exactly how much difference it makes. plan on having my 4x4 back this weekend. and ill never go without ballast again.

19. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

One of my dump trucks doesn't have a spreader this year so for the blizzard we put 3 rectangular boulders in the bed totaling about 3600lbs. Made a huge difference. Monday morning, I had him dump them at the shop so he could use the truck for snow relocation. He ended up having to plow all morning instead. He could see a huge difference and was really wishing for the weight back.

20. pete_4410

pete_4410 Junior Member

How much weight should i run in the back. im not running and mc blade just a normal hd.