1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much ballast

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Jeepjimmy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

96 ram 2500 reg cab 8ft bed. western unimount 7'6 not a pro plow. after yesterdays storm. im going to need some kinda ballast. how much weight would be a good choice?? thinking two cesspool covers i can get. or one of those huge cement blocks for making a wall for stones. any idea on amount of weight? im not really sure how much i should really add to make that difference.
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

400 - 500lbs should be enough
  3. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

I run 600# in my Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Diesel with good results.
  4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you need ballast for that little weight? I run many trucks and dont have any ballast in any of them. Lots of deep heavy snow too.
  5. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Dodges have a bit of rake and weak front ends. So it helps. Plus the extra weight allows you to plow in 2wd longer
  6. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

With tht setup I would run 500-600 lbs. Eve that will barely squat the truck but should help level you out. I run around 1200 lbs. with my 9.5' XV.
  7. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I used concrete curb stops... The ones I have used are 400 lbs each... The fit right behind the rear wheels and dont move... They worked great for me...

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

For standard plowing 600-700#. When faced with a mountain of snow, 10"+ then 1500-2000lb. Your truck will perform much better and not get kicked around by the snow piles so much. NTM plow most of the time in 2wd.
  9. zjm

zjm Senior Member

I use a 4' dia. road slab 950# plus my tools,chains and snow im figuring im at about 1100-1200#'s.Pushes like a tank. My truck info is in my sig..
  10. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I try to run at least 1000#. i know guys that dont run any ballast and i have run none at times also, but the truck pushes much better with enough weight to balance out the plow.