1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much ballast to run

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowsniper1, Dec 14, 2007.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

03 2500 hd reg. cab long box ,dmax allison w/ a 9.2 v
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

800 lbs work's well for the D-Max trucks running a 9.2....
  3. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Good way to know how much is enough,,,, since you did not state you had any mods I will take it you are dealing with OEM stock suspension so....

Find yourself some nice level black top big enough to ensure your rig and plow are as level as possible... vee to plow back and lower... check to ensure you are getting level blade contact with the blacktop ... if not add weight to your box until it levels out......
    Next, lift and straighten out the blade.... lower and check contact with blacktop again.... should have remained level.... last..... lift and vee out to scoop position and lower.... once again check for level contact and adjust your weight to get your plow close to level as possible in all 3 blade modes.... see how that works for you...

4. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Im running 960lbs, I think to help save front end parts that you should equal the weight you add to the front.

Hopefully my balljoints will thank me.lolxysport
  5. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

That sounds right....I run 600 with the same setup except a 8' 6" straight.....
  6. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

thanks guys
  7. Dodge350

Dodge350 Junior Member

I run a 99' & 03' F-250 with STR. 7'6" Westerns and we run about 750lbs to 1000lbs depending on the amount of snow and the weight of the snow. I find it best to run about 18 50lb bags of salt all the way against the tailgate the best.