1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much balast?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by retoocs555, Oct 12, 2006.

1. retoocs555

retoocs555 Junior Member

How much balast do I want in the back of my truck? 1/2 the weight of the plow, equal to the weight of the plow?

I have a sno-way 8'3 lobo V and it's a heavy plow but I'm not sure how heavy.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It depends on the weight of the plow and the truck configuration. On the website, there should be an application section that tells you.

I just came back from poking around on the SnoWay site and it doesn't seem like they recommend any ballast. I couldn't figure it out until I noticed the plow weights. Maybe no ballast is called for because they're so lightweight to start with. A 7.5' plow was like 300 pounds and an 8' was around 650 pounds.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2006