1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much an Hour

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NNJSnow, Aug 6, 2003.

1. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Yes i tried doing a SEARCH using the exact same words as in this post topic, anyway

How much do yall make using someone elses truck plowing snow per hour. Just trying to get an idea, my boss wants me plowing for him using his truck sense i don't have one right now and i don't wanna get shafted.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not quite in your locale,but my drivers get anywhere from $12 - $45 an hour depending on experience,workload,and responsibility.

You might want to also look at a guaranteed seasonal wage,so you get paid for standby,even if it doesn't snow.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I know of guys getting paid as low as $10.00\hour through $30.00\hour. All depends on experience.

4. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

As always, it depends on your area.
    With experience, our guys can take 15-20/hr to drive our trucks

5. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

my top foreman, who allows me to sleep and can run the whole show gets about $30, other drivers make anywhere from $16 to $20, where as laborers get $12 to $15...

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I would like to think $20 per hour minimum for a guy plowing in your truck. Knowing what a truck can make during a storm broken down to the hour even 20 bucks an hour is low. You get what you pay for right? If you want someone to show up consistantly and perform the same, paying is the only way.

7. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I paid $25 an hour just for manual labor( blowers & shoveling) and still had a hard time getting people who'd show up every storm. And i paid after each storm.

For drivers it was more, averaged $35.00 an hour.

Dan

8. bert

bert Member

I get 55.00 an hour with my own truck:dizzy:

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Ouch! That's really low for someone using their own truck and plow. :( Hope you can get a better rate.

10. bert

bert Member

maybe i should move to ny --- thats the goin rate in mich

11. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Here I pay my subs about $65 an hour ,and pay my drivers about $20-$30.

12. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Around here drivers are getting around $20-$25 an hour, I know it varies alot by where you live

Rick

13. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

wages

Well this seems to be a pretty good topic , First Bert were at in mich 50 to 70 dollars hour is about standard it depends on what your equipment is i pay 50 for a 1500 chevy with a 7.5 and i pay a guy 70 for a 1ton 9footer so it depends .

Paying the help man this is tough cause like so many have said doesnt seem to matter how much i pay they still complain, i do have crew leaders who can do my job if ness they are paid 25.00 hour drivers are paid 15hour and blowers 10.00 I have been in the snow buss most of my adult life and to me the one thing my guys seem to understand is iam a fair person i put them in very nice trucks and like wlyman said i give perks til it hurts shop acess to work on there own vech breakfast, lunch , dinner, i have made short term loans in the off season i try to be a good boss but not to over bearing and the results pay off when i tell them its time to rock they roll. I remember plowing snow for a guy 20yrs ago with a old chevy i could see the ground threw the floor boards the heater you couldnt run cause it would kill the battery, the plow worked poorly no radio and i did it for 7 bucks a hour, oh ya after 7hrs in the truck i would tell him i was hungry and he would tell me eating is for little kids.

My whole point is this 15to 25 hour is a fair wage remember we has owners have to pay insur, fuel, and oh ya truck payments ,and most important TAXES so fair is fair

regards Fred

14. bert

bert Member

I wish i lived closer to you pickering I always plow with a vew truck last year was a 2002 f350 with a straight 8 foot western this year I got the new chevy duramax not sure what blade Im getting yet I plow 5 schools and a church every 2 inches in grandville (grand rapids mich area) maybe I should hit the boss up for a 10 dollar raise lol I dont know what he would say I know I have never missed a storm or never broke down well we shall see Ill talk to him first before I buy my blade thanks cya:drinkup:

15. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Bert - congrats on your new Chevy Duramax! What model year is it, '03? I think you will love it. It has more than plenty of power and torque than you would ever need, more than the Allison can handle. :D As far as witht the plow, due to the heavy weight of Duramax, you probably could only go with Fisher/Western 8' straight plow. I would suggest adding a set of Timbrens for front end. Just ask John (Garagekeeper49) and he would be glad to help you out.

16. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

not bad $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If the drivers for the state of Delaware Dot saw those wages they would be jumping ship. Even when they are on time and a half they aren't making 20 to 30 an hour. I will have to forward this website to a few of them.

Hey Phillyplowking1 if you get any work in Delaware or near Delaware and need a sub look me up.:)

17. soilmover

soilmover Member

NNJsnow,

In the northern NJ market i would say at a low end 20.00 per hour. at a high end 45.00 per hour. That is for a driver only, your boss supplies the truck. If you go over the forty hour mark, yes you should be getting the time and half.

If your boss isn't in that pay range?

Email us we are looking for 5-10 new drivers this year.
    Email mmoore@greeneathlandscaping.com