1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much a hour do you get to plow

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by exmark kid, Sep 20, 2009.

1. exmark kid

exmark kid Junior Member

How much a hour are you guys getting to plow? The truck that will be used is a 2500 gmc, and the plow is a meyer straight, not shure on width.
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Depends a lot on where you live. Guys will tell you anywhere from 40-65/hr. I pay my subs $40.00/hr with a 3/4 ton truck and at least a 8ft blade. Get some type of wing set up for your blade, you might get a few more bucks per hour.:drinkup:
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

3 figures an hour but keep in mind that we rarely get snow and almost no one else plows. The market isn't saturated here.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

100.00 an hr buy you need to deduct 95.00 for having a Meyer plow,
  5. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

i got 65 last year as a sub with a 3/4 ton ford and 8ftr straight. im just south of the ohio river near florence. hope that helps you out
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Theres already topics about this: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=84477
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I won't drop my blade for less then $50 an hour.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Been waiting for that :rolleyes:
  9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Guys get around 90-115 a hr here......i would not do it for anything less. We dont get the snow the great lake guys get......we avg about 28 inches of snow a year.
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

subs around here will get anywhere from $45/hr - $75/hr for trucks, just depends on setup & operator, and who your working for.
  11. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I signed last week as a sub for $80.00 an hour + 5.00 an hour for fuel. I run a 3/4 ton with a 8.5' V and 3 years experience. Its about an 8 hr route with 3-4" on the ground. commercial and residential mix. I also do some of my friends' drives for 1 case of Busch Light each, a month, they are last and are only hit once a storm.
  12. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

average just over 100. Some more, some less, depends on the part of the route, and if I gotta drive for 15 mins or so.
  13. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

I get 110.00 per hour here in WI- western side of the state. I wont plow unless it turns out to be about 90-120.00 per hour. I dont do any Residentials under 35.00- and the 4 I have at 35.00 per time are right across the road from me! Dont work for free or low-ball!
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Seriously, it depends. Do you want to know what I bid it at?

Or what I actually make? With or without travel time? How about setup and cleaning\servicing the truck?
  15. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If it wasn't for plowsite i'd feel a lot better about what I charge an hour for a truck/loader/sidewalk guys.....ugh! cheap disgusting wh@res I tell ya.........I get so worked up about this, I should just start bidding in terms of cases or bottles to calm myself down.
  16. kws

kws Junior Member

Here in WI i dont pay more than $50.00 per hour!
    Residential only of course
  17. azandy

azandy Member

N.E. Wisconsin area. Most contractors are around $80.00 per hour. Some non insured side job people are around $60.00. That is till they wreck something.
  18. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

As example for subbing...Target Store lot $75.00 hr til cleared. Traveling to locations keeping places opened up $90.00.
  19. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I have to say, these threads about pricing sure do get confusing! There really is no correct answer to any of these questions, other than figure out what ALL of your OVERHEAD costs are (many good threads detailing this) & simply add either the profit you want/need to make, or better yet, what your MARKET will bear. When it comes to the MARKET, it's fairly simple: if your area gets 150+" of snow a year, your going to be able to charge a fraction of what subs make in an area that gets 20" of snow a year.

Personally, as a sub, I keep it between my boss & myself what I make per hour. It's no one elses business, as he's the only one that can truly put an accurate value on what I'm worth per hour. Also, beware of random info over the internet from across the country, some guys may be "pulling your chain" a bit!:jester:
  20. Shaw

Shaw Member

Oh crap well last year I was working with for a landscaping company and it was my first year and wow I didnt make that much ($13CA/HR)