1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HOLLYWOOD, Sep 9, 2004.

HOLLYWOOD Member

This is for solo operators. How many tons of salt did you go through last season? And what kind of spreader are you using?

I used around 20-25 tons with a PRO-FLO 2 . I was thinking of getting a v-box or an under the tailgate spreader because I hate shoveling and its faster.

Just trying to justify the cost
  2. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

The $$ justification is pulling a lever vs shoveling in the cold and wet.
  3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Hollywood -

Last year was a horrible year for salting. I only went through 10 - 12 tons compared to the previous year of 25 - 30 tons. I even added one business to the salting route last year! I was using a Western 1000 low profile salt spreader. This year I bought a new truck and a V hopper for it. As looks right now, I will keep the Western on the other truck for last minute quickie jobs and as a back up if something happens with the new set up. I can purchase bulk salt around $45.00 per ton, which is a lot cheaper that buying a skid of 80# bags.

Just my .02¢
  4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I used right at 16.5 tons of salt last year. Every pound was purchased in bags. I have a western 1000 spreader. This is about the average amount I use every year. For the past 2 years I have been trying to justify the cost of a V-box, storage building, and loader. We do some small landscape jobs, have a few commercial lots that we mow, but can't really justify a small tractor or skid-loader. The bag price is killing our profit margin but what do you do? Looks like for the winter of 04-05 we will stick with the western 1000, unless in the next couple of weeks we get awarded the contract on a couple big lots. ( :dizzy: I would like to have that V-box, but it wasn't long ago I spread 12 tons a year with just an ATV & 100# hopper spreader :dizzy: )
  5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We used about 1750 tons last year.we use undertailgate and vbox spreaders.having a dedicated salt bin that can hold about 200 tons and two loaders at the shop.last year was an average winter for us as far as salt is concerned but was a poor year for plowing.we buy bulk from the suppliers at the docks and truck it in house with a semi and 4 six wheelers.