1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many years have you been plowing for hire

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by powerjoke, Nov 25, 2007.

how many years have you been plowing for hire

1. 0-1 first year and excited

2. 2-4yrs still get excited

3. 5-10yrs the new is gone but still enjoy it

4. 10-20yrs still enjoying parts of it

5. 20+yrs plese tell us how long

6. 2-4yrs don't really care for it

7. 5-10yrsevery night you think WHY am i still here

8. 10-20yrs do not enjoy any part of it

9. 20+ same snow same crap still don't like it, tell us how long you've plowed

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i was reading a post and one member kept referring to his 18 yrs in the snow-buis and i though surely there is someone that's been doing this longer, commercial or residential

so lets hear it

this will make my 7th season

feel free to ad pics to this thread also
  2. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

This will be my 12th year plowing. 2nd year plowing on my own.
  3. powerjoke

you forgot to vote yard5864
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

im fired up for my first real year of plowing. just need some snow in jerzee
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

14th season plowing for myself, 20th clearing snow for hire (shovel, snowblower, then plow)

Attached is the first truck (93 GMC)

6. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Going into my fourth year... still love every minute of it.
  7. Second Look

Second Look Junior Member

First year plowing on my own, have done snowblower and such in the past. Can not wait for the snow to fly here in the Finger Lakes!
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  8. powerjoke

WOW that's a sharp 93' when was the pic taken?
  9. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

this will be my tenth winter, I still enjoy it, the solitude at 3:00 in the morning, the caffiene(sp?) high to make it 36 hours straight, the checks when they come in, the 300 phone calls a day, yep, can't for the snow to get here
  10. YardMedic

Thanks! May something, 1993 (the day I got it!)
  11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

shoveled for a couple years now this will be my first year plowing. payup
  12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't list the category I fall into...10-15 years and still love every moment. There's only been 1 time when I didn't wish it would snow and that's the day my daughter was born.
  13. YardMedic

Well, the first and second born here will learn to love plowing (should there be little yardmedics in the future), and he/she will also ride in a backpack for mowing too! Baby Einstein in a MP3 player for the munchkins
  14. powerjoke

15. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thanks powerjoke i think i will like it too. i am just worried i am going to run my bosses new truck into something but i think if i take my time it will work out good.
  16. powerjoke

he must have felt confident enough in you to give you a new truck so go out there floorboard his truck ram his wifes cadilac, at least you know the day can only get better and you'll be more confident too LOL

you'll do fine
  17. alleghenypaving

alleghenypaving Member

have 26 years in with the city plowing snow,going on 14 years with my own business.don't want to confuse you so i will explain..i work full time for the city,plowing ,salting.leaf collection.pot hole patching .you get idea. started my own company14 years ago. snow removal, asphalt paving, line-painting, etc. work 6am 2 pm city, from 2pm till whenever for my company.i have 3 drivers that handle the snow thing for me when i'm at my steady job. i keep these same guys busy paving in the summer. so 26 years of plowing still love it.liking what you do plays a big role in your job performance.i could never work in a mill or a office.still always learning easier ways of getting the job done your never too old..
  18. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

Never too much snow!

Plowing since 1980 - no complaints. Being an owner/operator I still enjoy it. Many long days/nights. Nothing prettier than the country side after a big storm.
  19. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping Member

My wife and I own the company together, I have been doing this since 1990, she started as a kid shovelling about 1982, her parents used to own the company, we bought the company from them and they retired. She would give it up tomorrow, me I can still find times when I am out there and think I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. Although those times seem to be getting further and further apart.

The hardest part for us is we have 2 children, one in first grade and one in eighth grade, with the crazy hours we work it puts a real strain on us making sure they are where they need to be at the right times. When we have reliable people, i.e. grandparents, wathching them the job is much more enjoyable.
  20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Started in 1986 to 2000 then 2002 -

I LOVE it :bluebounc:jester: Hated the 2 years I had to give it up