1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many yards?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Just picked up my new (old) sanding truck. Drove 1000 miles to get it. Previous owner never used it. I haven't had a chance to fill it yet. Any thoughts on how many yards it will hold? Hopefully the pictures get posted, haven't had good luck posting pictures.[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I'm guessing 5-6...nice looking truck btw. What did you pay for it?

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you are just a buying machine this year, nice truck, have you found a loader yet?

4. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Thats about what I thought too. If I extend the sides i figure I can add another 1 or 2. I'm sure the truck will handle it. I paid $5900 US for it. I needed another big sander and it looked to be in great shape (and it is).

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah its around a 6 cu yd hopper on it. Got one about that size, Very nice truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I think I`m gonna hold off on a loader for now unless a smokin deal comes along.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

weight is the problem with sand, not volume.
    figure 1.2 tons per yard

at 5 yards that's 6 tons (12,000lbs)

what's it rated?

overweight tickets are incredibly expensive.

8. buckwheat_la

knowing brad he already has that thought out.

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the 800's are rated for 33,000 pounds. I know my 750 is rated for 25,500.

10. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I would say 5 yds legally. Nice looking truck. Very clean with no rust at all!!

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW, what a great looking truck for the year!!

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like 7 to me.........

13. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

We have the same truck, short wheelbase, with a drop in Swenson spreader. You should be able carry 8 yards of sand. Load her heavy to the front because with the short wheelbase it's hard to get the weight up on the front axle. We've been busted by DOT for being overweight on the rear axle.wesport Do you have a weight limit for each axle (8,000 K I beleive?) Like we do?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Sweet truck!

15. leon

leon Senior Member

spreader

To obtain the accurate struck volume of the spreader:

the formulas for a rectangular solid and a trapezoid are used

For a rectangular solid

Length Times Width Times height(in inches) divide by 1728(volume of one cubic foot)

and you have the cubic feet of volume for the upper part of the hopper.

For the lower part which is a Trapezoid:

base one (which is the the narrow base)

base two (which is the wide base)

Total height (the height of the space between base on and two only)

Partial height (any measurement such as 12 inches for example)

Length (the length of the hopper)

Length times b plus (b2-b1) times (height 1) divided by (total height) plus (b1 times height 1) divided by 2 to obtain the volume in cubic inches, divide this by 1728 to obtain the cubic feet of the trapeziod.

Add the volume of the two shapes to obtain the struck volume cubic feet of capacity.

And hope your sand load is not worthy of an overweight ticket but weighing a cubic foot of the sand at loading would give you a rough idea of how much the load will weigh as you will know the struck volume capacity.

A passive air operated tag axle mounted ahead of the rear axle using 10:00-15:00 trailer tires would avoid any issues most likely.

:waving:

16. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Wow Leon, my heads a hurtin. :dizzy: I myself just hand a tape measure to Junior and ask him to figure it out, who in turn would pocket my tape, never to be seen again, jump in a 1 yard loader and count how many buckets to fill. :laughing:

17. buckwheat_la

in alberta he is going to have to have it inspected as a commercial vehicle anyways, and at that time they well TELL him what they feel the truck is rated for.

18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Whose they Buckwheat?? The axles will tell him what the truck is rated for.

19. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Maybe you canucks do it differently up there in the Northland, dontcha know? The truck is RATED for a certain weight. It's not a judgement call how much it can hold or carry. Now if your equipment isnt up to par for the rating, you could be OOS.

How about the OP walk outside, take three measurements of the bed, do some 2nd grade math, and TELL US what it carries?

20. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Should be a GVW rating on the door. Short single axle truck with normal size tires will not be over 26,000. That box is not more than 5 yarder.