1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many use low range when plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bolts Indus., Mar 1, 2004.

?

How many use low range?

1. Gas engine. Yes

38 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. Gas engine. No

66 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Diesel engine. Yes

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Diesel engine. No

36 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I for one both use and recommend low range. I find it is easier all round on the vehicle.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I always use 4 high.:waving:

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It depends on the situation. Most of the time I plow in 4-HI, but if I need that extra power to move a big pile or I'm working in a tight area with heavy snow I might put it in 4-LO. In large lots you just can't make any time in LO range and time is $$$. Most importantly just keep the truck from straining to much, thats what 4-LO is for.

4. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

In my case i try to use 2wd when ever possible (lots of balast), then 4hi, and when I get stuck, or its real deep 4lo... :cool:

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

4-hi usually, 4-lo to remove ice or hardpack and for plowing those really rough lots when theres been a lot of traffic on the snow(ruts) and it later freezes over. Mine seems to shift so much harder in low, especially between D and R.

6. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

i run an 02 chevy with a duramax and the allison, i ususally plow in 2wd as long as i can and then push the button for 4wd if needed. the allison is geared so low that even in high, backing up can take forever, usually redlines at about 10mph

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i only use it, if its really deep wet snow my truck is really good in the snow

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

2wd most of the time. 4 hi on occasion. But remember 6inch snow fall once or twice a season. usually 4inches or less.

9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I keep the hubs locked in and use 2wd until I feel it starting to slow to much then shift to 4wd. I use 4lo when I stack big piles or push a lot

10. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i almost never use low on my truck, it has granny first (np 435) tranny....so i can just let off the clutch and go

11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't used 4 low, of course we haven't gotten more than 4 inches of snow at a time. It takes a while to shift into 4 low so i rarely use it.

12. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I think that I have only used low range while plowing once and that was on my 97 (no granny gear). Most of the time I plow in 2wd, that is one very nice thing about running 6,000 lbs of ballast and having a rear locker. Like this year I had the 03 in 4wd once for plowing, and that was only for busting through 200 feet of 4 foot deep drifts.

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I never plow in 2wd nor good at all in any kind of snow IMO. If its not alot of snow i use 4 hi. Heavy wet snow i will use low but it highly depends on the situation.

14. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

I use 4wh inD1 in reg. storms. Then 4wlow D in heavy wet or really deep snow!
    Dave

15. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

With my Dodge 1 ton I usually can plow all day in 2wd, sometimes
    if there is a lot of snow, or very heavy then I go to 4hi.

Have only had to ever put this old girl in 4lo once, and that was
    pushing some hardpacked 3' drifts.

16. Barberry Hill

Barberry Hill Junior Member

As such it depends entirely upon the conditions and terrain.
    The F350 mason dump we have is two wheel drive so mute point
    With flat lots and no risk of getting stuck and less than 6" 2WD
    For all the rest 4 LOW
    standard or automatic transmission we think it a great deal easier on the equipment. The proof is in the longevity and age of our equipment
    interesting poll though

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I used a Bronco II for 4 seasons and 4 low helped when it got real wet and heavy. I was the condo drive guy, so a lot of times I was busting drifts and stuff the big trucks could not get. It kept my RPM's up too, so the charging system was a lot happier. I could not be as productive with my F-250-V8 in L/R and have never used it plowing.

18. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Normal plowing, Running 4 lo keeps my trans temp around 150-160. 4hi will run approx 20º warmer. Why beat on the trans if I don't have to?
    If you do a lot of stopping/backing up, it will increase trans temp too...so I think 4 lo is beneficial, as it spins the trans faster, thereby pumping more fluid to aid it trans temp control. The higher RPM's help the battery stay charged too.

:)

19. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I use 4 low all the time. It doesn't work the tranny as hard. I can get all the speed I need in low range. 20mph+ for the long drives that require speed to get the snow up and over the sides of the road.

20. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Use 4hi mostly sometimes 2wd and 4lo almost never...