1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many turns???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Merc1100sc, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Have a 7.5MM w/ cutting edge on my 03 silverado 1500 reg cab Z71.
    The front end saged like crazy before I turned the bars up 5 turns. Is this too many. WIll it kill the tires?

2. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

I know on 3/4 ton trucks you can turn them that high , but on a 1/2 ton i was always told you cant turn they more then like 2-3. reason being that you can damage the ball joints and c/v joints, i have a 95' 1/2 ton w/ a 7.6' western , it drops but its no more then normal. maybe ,look into some timberins for it. (sorry not a good speller) good luck :cool:

3. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Didnt know it would hurt. I ordered a set of Timbrens. Just waiting for them to get here.

4. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

let me know how they work for you , been thinking bout getting some my self purplebou

5. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

No problem.. Sure will..

6. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I would check on getting a alignment for your truck. I was told anytime you mess with your torsion bars it screws up the alignment and yes it will kill your tires. I have a 99 1/2 ton and I put a set of timbrens on it and it makes the world of difference. You won't be disappointed.

Breck :waving:

7. doh

doh Senior Member

I plow with a 97 Chebbue 1/2 ton and 7 1/2 western poly. I turn them up 6 turns, yours being a Z71 would have the heavier front bars same as snow plow pkg. That system I could carry a WESTERN PRO 7 1/2' with 6 turns as well.

I have 70,000 kms on my ball joints and tires. An alingnment would help very much but I turn them back in the summer. 5h truck doing this to and all simular

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Crank all my GMC's up five turns. Doesn't change alignment one bit, run that way in summer too as my plow is being used as a demo. No un-even tire wear and steers straight as an arrow. Never use timbrens at all.

9. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

What I planned to do, once my Timbrens came in, was crank them up about 3 turns and let the Timbrens carry the rest of the weight. The truck was practically doing an endo b4 I cranked them up from factory setting.

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Timbrens = more gooder plow carrying ability.

I have them on my 04 silverado. My bars are turned 6 on the driver side and 7 on the passenger side. I strongly recommed getting an alignment afterwards. I waited a week and the outter treads were getting shredded. :nono: I actually may be truning them back down a turn or two on each side. With a little weight in the bed and no plow on the truck points to the sky like it's ready for take off.

11. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

This my sound like a stupid question to some, cuz I'm new to adjusting torsion bars, but, why 6 turns on one side and 7 on the other.?

12. crashz

crashz Senior Member

It evens out any lean in the truck. Some trucks lean to one side or the other. You can even it out by adjusting the torsion bars to compensate. Mine leans to the drivers side due to the fuel tank and my fat arse. An extra crank on the drivers side bar evens it out nicely.

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

merc are you running any balast?

14. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Merc, notice his screen name is "Bad Luck"? If he'd cranked them both 6 turns that would have been good luck... :D

Ah just kidding around, how you doing Bad Luck? That's actually a good question, why would you do that? All I know is I was going to crank mine up about a month ago but decided against it. The alignment shop told me I'd need to have it realigned with the ballast in the back since I'd be leaving that in there for most of the winter. Then in the summer when the ballast was removed I'd need to realign it again. IMO, wouldn't you just align it with no load at all? He got me all confused and I just said forget it, I'll get some Timbrens after Christmas and that should take care of my sagging issues.

Buck

15. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

I Have A Couple Sand Bags In The Bed Now. Once I Get The Timbrens In, Ill Prob Have A Total Of About 350#'s? Does This Sounds Enough?

16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

350 lbs is pretty light. your plow manual should mention how much balast you need, or check their site.

17. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Actually, according to Fisher, it should be 500. I just figured the a$$ end would squat too much with that much in it. Ill try the 350 and take it from there.

18. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yeah, I think 350lbs is kind of light. For ballast I think you almost want to equal the amount of weight you have in the front (plow), maybe someone can chime in and help out with this, but I think that's the way most guys go about it. The ballast probably can vary a little due to where you add the ballast, over the rear axle or behind it. Personally I have 600lbs over my rear axle and 550lbs in the front with the plow. Seems to work fine, very little sag in the rear, maybe 1/2 inch. Too much sag in the front, need to add the Timbrens. I just guessing here, but I'm thinking the rear suspension is beefed up a bit compared to the front since that is where a potential heavy load will be. Just a guess.

Buck

19. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

merc/crash/Upnorth - Before I cranked the T-bars I measured from the ground to the lower lip of the fender flare. If memory serves me correctly there was about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch difference between the two (from the factory). Possibly to compensate for fuel and driver weight (both on drivers side). So, keeping that in mind i raised each side to have the same height difference.

I'm using 430lbs of ballast in the form of cinder blocks, behind the rear wheels. I had my truck aligned without the ballast in the bed because when I am not plowing, the ballast will be out of the truck, I will be keeping the torsion bars turned up though. My suggestion would be to add timbrens first, and if you are still not satisfied then turn the t-bars. I did mine the opposite for a few reasons, 1.) I did not like the way the truck sagged without the plow on and I wanted a nice level look 2.) Come spring I will be shoe horning 285's into the wheel wells and need the extra clearance between the tire and wheel well
    3.) Raising them did help with carrying the plow. First I drove the truck without them turned and the plow on and it dropped about 2-3 inches with the blade raised, then I turned the t-bars. The truck only dropped about 1-2 inches, but it was raised that much more. THEN i added the timbrens, the truck now only drops about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Sitting on level ground I have a solid, 9-10 inches of clearance from the ground to the lowest part of the plow frame, ballasted.

Also note that in my opinion, the truck rides much better with more steering feedback and less of an ocean liner feel now than it did from the factory. If you do a search you can see my install pics of the timbrens and plow.

Buck - Things are good man, now only if it would friggin' snow I'd be in good shape. Counting the days until Santa Bad Luck burns his arse in the fire place!!

20. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yeah I hear ya. It'd be nice to get another push in before Christmas but I don't think that going to happen here...to cold. -25 below for tonight and a high of -7 below tomorrow, -25 again tomorrow night. Not going to get above 0 till Christmas day. Maybe have to trade my plow in for a couple reindeer so old Santa Buck can come to town!! :redbounce

Have a good Christmas!

Buck