1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many trucks..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chrisby316, Nov 29, 2002.

1. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

How many trucks do you guys have? by looking at the pics it seems like most of you only use 2 trucks. If that is the case how many accounts do you have? are they mostly residential or commercial. The company i plow for doesn't have too many accounts but we have 5 trucks with plows. just wondering if we are putting out too many trucks and if it would be more cost effiticient to run less trucks for more hours.

thanks

2. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

ok maybe too many questions at once.

how many trucks do you guys run and for how many customers.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Chris,i think the same way.i have 3 pickups,a small; S 10 blazer,and loader if necessary.I can get by with 2 trucks in a 3-4" storm,but bigger ones,I need another truck or i cant get to the residentials in time,or keep up with commercials.I think a lot of it depends on the level of service you are providing.How long will it take you to get the to last customer after the last flake falls.If i run an extra truck i can get done much faster.I consider any more than 6-8 hrs to be unacceptable,unless its agreed apon in advance,and proced accordingly.Naturally Blizzards are going to be longer,bu it should be a once a season thing,not every storm.

4. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have 6 trucks: 2 GMC Jimmys, 2 Jeep Wrangler Sports, 1 GMC Sierra, 1 Chevy Suburban and 1 Case 75XT sidsteer.

We service approx. 200 to 250 customers per event.
    90% Residential 10% Commercial

The amount of trucks utilized should be in direct corrilation to what the customers needs are.

CGB

5. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

so basically each truck has to service 40 accounts +/- ?

6. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

For my company that is about right. But my standard completion time is 6:30AM. That gives me roughly 4 1/2 hours to due my whole route. I also have other contracts that do not need to be completed until 10:30AM.

It is all a matter of how your accounts/clients contracts are set up. In my case, I try to squeze every hour of available plow time to generate more revenue! Thats why I have signed accounts that requested to be done by 10:30am, it gives me three extra hours of billable truck time.

CGB

7. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I have 4 trucks, 2 smaller utility tractors, and one skidsteer. We take care of approx. 172 households and 10 commercial properties. Most storms we only use 5 of 7 pieces of snow equipment. The other 2 are for back-up and blizzard conditions.

8. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

3 F-250's, 1 W-250 Dodge Plow 7 commercial parking lots.

9. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I have 6 F-350's SRW with 8 1/2' plows 2 F350's DRW with 9' plows 1 f800 with an 11' plow and 5 yard box with sander and 1 skid loader. Most of our business is commercial (most Larger than 4 acres) so we need a lot of trucks because of the time frame we need to get them done in.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2002
  10. JMB74

JMB74 Junior Member

Ive got 2 2001 F-350 pickups w/ spreaders, 2002 F-250 w/ 7.5' plow & spreader, 1993 F-250 w/ 7.5' plow & spreader, 96 F-450 stake body w/ 8.5' plow and 10' swenson v-box, 99 F-350 no plow but a liqud sprayer kit, 2001 F-450 w/ 9' plow and monroe replaceable tailgate spreader, 2002 F-550 w/ 9' plow and same spreader as the 450, F-650 w/ 10' ploy plow and a swenson under tailgate spreader, and a 1995 International 4700 w/ 11' plow and swenson under tailgate spreader. I also have 3 New Holland Ls180 skid-steers w/ 10' protech sno pushers and a Cat 928g loader w/ 16' fold-out protech sno pusher. So total 10 trucks and 3 skid-steers and a loader.

11. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

6 trucks used every storm to service about 40 accounts with the avail of 4 more if needed and 2 skidloaders.

12. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I average 30 res. customers and about 12 commerical (2- 4acre parking lots, 1- 1/2 mile three wide drive, 1- 1 1/2 mile drive). I have a 97 F-350 with a 8.5' plow and a 2.1 cu.yd. V-box sander, a 03 S250 Bobcat 2 speed with a 96 " bucket and a 12' snow pusher, and a 02 Yamaha Grizzly a 00 Yamaha Kodiak both with 5' plows for sidewalks and misc. I also in a bad storm my dad and I team up and do our jobs together. He a has an 02 F-350 CC DRW with a 9' plow, 93 Jeep Wrangler with a 6.6' plow, a 03 Bobcat S250 with a 90" bucket, a 03 S300 2 speed with a 12' snow pusher, a 01 T190 Bobcat with 7' plow

13. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I see alot of you guys runnin Jeep Wranglers,whats the deal?are these things really that handy?not being sarcastic,just asking!

14. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

good question arc, i was thinking the same thing. i didnt think they were built sturdy enough to plow snow.

15. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

My jeep wrangler sport plow trucks are the heart and sole of my company. They can plow with the best big dog trucks, and are versitile enough to perform even the most complex tight projects. The power that these trucks have is impressive, they blow the 4.3 chevy motors out off the water. And thats saying alot coming from a Chevy(GM) guy who owns 2 4.3's.

CGB

16. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

you believe that the 4.0 make more power than the 4.3? That is a new one to me. i dunno i don't own either of them but from what i heard i thought it was the other way around.

17. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I think saying a Jeep can plow with the big dogs is reaching. They have their place as they are built tough and would make tight spaces easier.
    Now I do like the 4.0, as I have a ZJ with it and it does have plenty of power, I wouldn't rate it over or under the 4.3 GM as they both make great power for their size.

18. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm strictly residential,mostly gravel drives,mostly on top of gods knob,people love these places in the summer but usually sing another tune when they get the bill for plowing!I guess those smaller trucks would have there place on small drives and tight lots.I thought the 4.3 was pretty snotty,but have not been in a 4.0,i will take your word on it though.

19. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Guys, I am just speaking from my own personal experience. I have two 4.3's a 1994 Jimmy and a 1996 Jimmy. Both my Wranglers will push harder, longer, faster. The 4.3's tend to get bogged down very quickly when under load.

Lets put it this way, out of all the trucks I own, I plow with my 2000 Jeep! It plows awsome!

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2500 454's too! I seem to have more fun in the Jeep. Of course the 3/4" and 1 tons will handle larger lots better, but I did plow 7 acres with my Jeep this past tuesday without a problem (3" of snow).

CGB

Let it snow!

20. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We run 3 F350 diesel's (2 are dumps) 1 Chevy 1-ton and 1 Dodge 1-Ton and 3 sanders, Polaris Sportsman 500HO with 60" V-Blade, Walker mowers with snowblowers and numerous Honda blowers. At times of breakdowns I sometimes remembered the smaller headaches being solo! We are 98% Commercial