1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many times do you go back to your lots after the storm?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maleko, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Some of my Commercials are apartments. Open lots like a Hotel setting.

And of course people cant park all in a row when they know its gonna snow. They are scattered through out the lot. I tell them they have 24 hours after the snow is over to move the vehicles. But they never do. I don't want to be going back to the lots for 4 days after the snow cleaning up every ones space..

What do you all do in this situation?
  2. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

If I go back after a storm and drop my blade it costs them.
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

We generally will hit up most lots each day till it is 100% clean and dry. They pay accordingly depending on what we do, so daily site checks are a nice way to get out of the house for a few hours, make some $$$ and it helps me sleep better at night knowing there won't be an issue that I could have prevented.
  4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

put this in your contract, in the fine print.

The above prices do not cover services required at your property due to slippery conditions caused by water main breaks, leaking drains/gutters or tenant/resident actions (dumping or draining water onto lot or walks). Price does not include stacking snow, snow hauling, or snow relocation. These services are available if required at an extra cost. Contractor will not be held liable for any incidents occurring after 24 hours from the end of storm (Example: melting & re-freezing). Customer acknowledges that Contractor is not a 24 hour monitoring service and it is the customer’s responsibility to notify Contractor of adverse lot conditions arising 24 hours after the end of the winter storm event. Contractor will not be held liable for any incidents occurring in between parking spaces as these areas are not always accessible (Example: Vehicles parked in lot through storm).
  5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It can be aggravating, but I still check my lots almost every day. A day or two later, I'm getting cabin fever anyway. I usually take the dog for a ride and take my time cleaning up spots, on hotels after check out, on apartments the spaces just keep opening up...finish one section & the cars usually relocate quite a bit, especially once they learn your routine. I almost always hit them up for another salt app, because it needs it and my income increases by about 1/3. Takes a lot less salt, easy money, and it's kind of relaxing...better than sitting around or out spending $. It's the jerks who are trespassing & park on the lots corner piles on the end of long runs (because they car pull to work)...they get a surprise when they get back, eventually they learn to park next to the other cars...but you have to train them early or the lot becomes a disaster for lack of places to drop piles.
  6. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

apartment complex we do, we plow it all and have a skid to go in the parking stalls. We will come back the same day, if we are cleared really early in the morning between 10am and 2pm to clear additional parking stalls (most people gone at that time). On weekends we will go back on monday to scrap them clean. After that its per call only. All of our lots get spot checked the next morning usually.
  7. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I like that alot. Thanks...

I still go back up to 2 days after . was just wondering what everyone else does
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we go back untill it is all cleaned....and they get billed for it too
  9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Its all in you contract as NW said, we only do two apartment complexs, both per trip. One is actually per trip, follow up visit is second (third, forth, etc.) visit, other price includes the one follow vist. That complex is great has there tenants all park together in either the outer or inner area of the circle, the first visit gets 2/3 of the lot completly clear, they call once ALL the cars are moved for a follow up visit to get the rest cleaned up, I even had one of the tenants yelling at a car (visitor) that was in my way telling them to move.