1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many times do I plow during a storm?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dave Meyers, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I plow drieveways for friends and acquaintences for cash during storms. We are expecting two feet of snow over the next three days in Kenosha, WI. What do folks generally do? Do you plow each driveway once at the end of the storm and charge for one driveway, or a few times during the storm and charge for each clearing, or clear it a few times but just charge for the storm event, etc? I don't have contracts with people because I just do this when trhey call me up and ask, since I have two other jobs. Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Be smart and plow with the storm.

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Plow every 4 to 6 inches and stay on top of it. You are gonna hate life if you wait till the end.

4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Do like mycirus says and plow with the storm. There is no way you are going to plow it after that storm unless you have a D-9.
    Just make sure that your customers know that you will be plowing every 4 to 6 and they will be charged for each time. Good Luck.

5. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Good advice everyone. I've got a plan. Thank you. Just looking forward to the snow now!

6. batman53201

batman53201 Junior Member

im in the same boat........you can probably cut them some slack, say if your gonna plow 4 times during this storm.......charge them for 3

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

why charge for 3 when you plow 4 times....that is stupid
    we bill EVERYTIME we plow and customers dont complain....they are just glad to be able to get out if they want to

8. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I'm just doing this for friends, not customers per se. I want to help them and make a little cash, not maximize profit.These folks are too old or too ill to do it themselves. It's not my primary business. In my own work, I follow your advice so I give good service but don't get taken advantage of either. Anyhoo, I ended up only plowing once after the storm because the roads were impassable during the storm. Total white out. I headed out to go to a driveway across town then turned around and was glad to make it back home.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011