1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many times can someone ask...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by landstroker51, Dec 19, 2004.

1. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

How many times do guys ask what to charge on a particular job on this site?
    If they knew what they were doing this wouldnt happen.
    Or are they all weekend warriors trying to steal more work.

2. Rainman

Rainman Junior Member

How did you start out plowing!
    Was the business handed to you on a SILVER SPOON.
    There are people out there that are trying to a start business and they have to start somewhere. Not everyone can go and quit their job to go into the plowing business. Some people actually have to feed their families and pay bills. My opinion is keep your sarcasm to yourself. I am pretty sure you were a LOWBALLER yourself at one time.

3. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

Never a lowballer!
    Started the right & honest way.
    I dont screw people because this is my business & I like good relationships with people. I want their return business.
    I can understand ask a question here and there, but shouldnt you research or plan for yourself if your going out and bidding on things. I would never ask or tell another contractor about my business or what I know about this business. I keep what I know to myself and maybe get a edge on someone else. It is called being smart and protecting what you know or dont know.
    I usually ask other contractors about equipment things or weather related issues - small talk.

4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

5. landstroker51

landstroker51 Banned

Well I thought this a PROFESSIONAL site but I seem wrong.
    I wont last long here dont worry.

6. BLIZZARD BUSTER

BLIZZARD BUSTER Member

This Is A Professional Site!
    This Is A Site Where People Are Helping People That Are In The Same Business!

Judi

7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

landstroker51,

I've learned the hard way also. If you voice your opinion and it happens to differ from the majority you get flamed. I mean if you are just starting out in business why would you ask another business "what do I charge for a 20X50 driveway?" The answers will differ from business to business. So, now I just reply with telling them it depends upon THEIR expenses and what THEY expect to profit...not what another company does or doesn't. If you tell them its a stupid question then people jump down your throat. You're better off just not responding or responding and letting the meaningless criticism roll right off.

And yes, I agree about stupid questions. Too list a few...

Which is better Ford or Chevy?
    Is a BOSS better than a WESTERN plow?
    What do I charge for a driveway?
    Is $300 the correct amount for my parking lot?
    What is the going rate for subcontracting?

The funny thing is, not many people can give a creditable answer. I mean I've only owned a Chevy and GMC. How can I answer that Ford is worse, or better? Same goes for the type of snowplow. And as far as what I charge for a residential driveway why would I let my competitors know what I'm charging? So I can get undercut (and rightfully so) and lose the account? DUH!!

Since I'm already ranting. I responded to a post last year with someone asking for a copy of someone's contract. My response to this thread was something along the lines of why should I give you a copy of my contract for free? I paid good money (attorney fee) and spent a lot of time researching what should be in the contract. Also spent time with my insurance agent to dot my I's and cross my T's. I got ridiculed and basically told to get off the site if I didn't want to help. Now, I did call the poster a jackass...so yes I did go a little far but it really bothers me when someone is acting like a freeloader... :mad: Let me join this site and get copies of proposals, contracts, etc. for absolutely nothing!!! :gunsfiring:

Hey if you want to give it out, all the power to ya...me I think you are doing a disservice. Hey, opinions are like a-holes we all have 'em and they all stick. :D

8. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Im new here so I may be getting in over my head on this one but Im sitting at home bored with nothing else to do at the moment.
    I am a part timer. There, I said it. Ive got another full time job that pays the bills.
    Does that mean I shouldnt plow because I dont do it full time?
    Does it mean I should'nt come here to share information?
    I do agre that asking what to charge isnt good business.
    I dont really care what everyone else charges for a job. Ive got my own expenses and overhead, fortunately for me, its less overhead than most full timers have and I dont NEED the plow money to pay the bills. That probably makes me a lowballer or weekend warrior, but if you were as professional as you claim, you would know that its none of your business and not your problem how much I charge, how many accounts I have or how much time I spend on them. I know enough about business to know that we all have our own needs as far as profit is concerned so you will never hear me ask what to charge, I really dont care what you charge, I charge what I have to.

9. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Nothing wrong with being a part-timer. Heck, if you can charge $5 for a driveway and make a profit, good for you. You'll steal all of my accounts...but that is business. Watch out though, you'll get coined a "lowballer" and accused of taking food off of others table. LOL

10. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

cia and plowing

gentlemen, this is not a secret society its not the cia but sometimes members treat it that way, we are not members of an exclusive club this is a forum that was started around a common intrest. people join this site to learn more about this buisness or sharpen the skills that they already have,
    everyone asked questions possibly stupid questions in the beginning. those of you that were in the buisness before this site was developed might of asked your buddy that plowed "how much do you think i should charge for this lot"
    or maybe you were working as a sub and your boss was your question answering professional. with todays tecnicaly advanced world we now have a place were guys and girls can get together from across the country and pool there knowledge to help each other and the new kid on the block.

this is my 2 cents hope not to many people get offended

11. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

My suggestion to those with questions, is to try to come up with an intelligent figure FIRST yourself...

Then bring your thoughts to this panel, and get the varying opinions. At least then you show that you've put some thought into it, even if it is misguided. (lol)

At that point you get to see what others think of your marketing, pricing or whatever.

If you show that you've put a significant amount of thought, etc into your question you will get some very good discussion going.

Glen

12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Stroker,

Man that just tears it. I hope you take pleasure in knowing that you are the first one only person on my ignore list. Since youve been here youve had nothing remotely nice to say. All I can hope is that you dont go through life with that neg attitude. Life is way to short to go through it all po'd. Dont bother to reply to my post I had to ignore all of your past and future post. Have a nice life....Rob

13. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Rob,

We got lucky they banned him. So they should delete this thread.You are right he does have a bad attitude.

JP

14. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey STROKER, say some more bad things about friefighters...aint nothing in life like making friends wherever you go! :gunsfiring:

15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Stroker is banned finally. There's a few more who need to join him.

16. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Like... T****s ? Or P*****rL**d? :rolleyes:

17. Yes Chris,
    You have won the prize on who should get kicked off plowsite. You can now have 1 snowstorm that will make you lots of money. :waving:

Thanks a lot for playing but doing so in a serious way. :waving:

18. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I'm new here and the reason I was searching for a site like this was for information. Being new I try not to ask questions unless I can't find the answers on the site somewhere. I don't see why stroker would get so upset over something so silly. I think just like in any business if you provied good customer service and make a personal connection with your customers they aren't going to jump ship for a few bucks. My main business is very cut throat and no one talks to each other even to say hi. It is so bad that we have to hire security to watch equipment at night. I have 2 guys offering 50% of the gross sales when I am giving 25 or 30 and I have not lost one in 10 years. Every other company is loosing acounts at about the rate of 2 or 3 a season. Why don't we loose acounts because we do what ever it takes to keep the customer happy, we are honest with them at all times and we take what started as a business relationship and turn it into a friendship.

19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I feel that one of the main reasons I like to help with pricing, is that it helps everyone within the area. I'd rather these newbies be out bidding competitively and making some money, than spending two years spoiling the market with low prices that ruin the market for everyone. It takes that long for some to learn and start to get their prices dialed in. The same thing goes for mowing and other operations. The idea is - to keep the industry standards up, so the market isn't ruined by a bunch of those who just don't know how to cover the costs. There is always giong to be those "weekend warriors" such as shop workers, retirees, and so forth that do services for below market value for the simple reason that they are able to due to non payment of taxes and adequate insurances. However, when these guys know the true pricing structure, you can rest assured they are going to try to get all they can. Yes, there are those few that will still bid low to get the work, but atleast this is then filtered down, as far as the amount of them that do this.

20. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I'd have to agree with your statement. It is very well put. Instead of just asking extremely vague questions...put some thought into it...

this will give (IMO) a better conversation and warrent a better discussion.