1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many times can I bend pin #13 back into place before it falls off?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Nov 28, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I've noticed it's getting harder to avoid bending the loner pin in the 13 pin connector when disconnecting the plow. It doesn't move much, but enough that I can't hook up the connector without moving it back into place. How long till it falls off all together you think? And when it does, what's going to stop working?
  2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

bummer dude , how'd that start acting up ? trying to force it in backwards?
  3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

^ not really... The connector housing is channelled differently on both sides - I'm not sure you'd get far enough to bend pins even if you did try to get it on backwards. I'm pretty sure it started by not pulling the connectors apart in a straight enough line when disconnecting, and the lone pin got pulled toward the others. It doesn't move far, but it's obviously not going to last forever doing this...
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You have several options when this happens.
    1- Buy a new harness
    2- Try to glue a small bole with the head cut off back in the hole.
    3- I got online and figured out what color wire went to this pin and cut it and spliced in a new single prong connector outside of the main plug. With my plow it happen to be the ground, so if someone tries to hook up to my plow and steal it, it will not work unless they hook up a new ground wire. What are the chances of them knowing this wire is the ground, pretty slim I would guess.

Regards Mike
  5. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

This happened to me before just go to the dealer and buy a pig tail you dont have to buy the whole harnes I think it was about $40.00 bucks
  6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Really? My plug is mangled and the flange is all ripped off, I didn't want to buy a whole new harness

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The pigtail is all you'll need. Your local dealer should have 1 instock.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not long so don't leave it go. Fix it now.

Your smart hitch will cease functioning. So as mentioned above fix it now. Plow side repair end is p/n MSC4754. Should be around $45.

The pins are tough but being rough with them during connect/disconnect will fatigue them like anything else. When you're connecting or disconnecting don't wiggle the plug halves a great deal. Just move them slightly while exerting pressure. Should go right together and don't force them. Of course a little dielectric grease is always recommended.
  9. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

This is good to know. One of my pins has been like this sense it was installed new. I only had to bend it a couple times so far to get it to connect. Now, if I make the connection by positioning the plugs a certain way, it will plug in no problem.
  10. azandy

azandy Member

A pin just broke off of our newest plow. Bought last year. Boss is awhare of the problem and said they have a different harness this year, or maybe it is coming out soon. They said it should be covered under the two year warranty. I will just get one and install it myself this week. I didn't check which pin but am guessing the running light one as there was a little green around it. I do grease the plug several times during the season but always seem to get a little corrision around that pin.
  11. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Good to know I am not the only one with this problem.
  12. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I had that probpem with my old RT-2 but my RT-3 has had no problems with this issue, but also I only pull my blade off a few times over the witer season, but Im gonna go take a look see at mine now!
  13. boonman

boonman Junior Member

I have discovered that the reason my pin kept bending had nothing to do with connecting and disconnecting the plugs. It was getting bent when I was removing the protective cover. If you "rocker" it off, you will bend the pin. One must pull the cover straight out, and the pin will not bend. check it out, and you'll see what I mean.