1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many subs are too much

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pvtben121, Jan 27, 2014.

1. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

I have 160 accounts with 90 of them commercial. I only have 5 Plow trucks and and 10 subs. I was just wondering if i should buy 2 more trucks. And use less subs.
    I have done this for years and it works just looking for a change
  2. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

You could just give me a few of your accounts.....just kidding
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I want hear what ppl have to say

I have 5 plow rigs with 34 commercial accounts and 10 drives 10 hr route

I tried sub thing one year didn't work out

I think with 90 com lots 7 trucks wont cut it I guess depending the size of the lots you have
  4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Well thats just about 11 lots per truck if there is no equipment dedicated to a site. My old company tried to have 5 sites per truck, depending on the size of the lot.
  5. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

I guess its risk/reward type of thing. with subs you pay them an hourly rate which is more than employee but not having to repair their break downs or cover fuel expenses is probably worth it. but it you buy new trucks the likelihood of break downs is far less so you could make more per truck. I say add more of both
  6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

How do you get all those done and have everyone happy?? Seems like a lot of plowing for so few trucks.
  7. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

Yes it is hard but it 15 trucks for 160 stops. It usually takes ten hrs for the commercials then like 2 or 3 for the residentials. Then we have 4 sidewalk crews with atvs and a kubota rtv. They only do about 35 accounts but they are big.
  8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can keep the trucks busy in the off season then hell yes buy more trucks.. Cheaper than subs in the long run.
  9. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Your cost per acre is going to drop when you start using heavy equipment as your subs.