1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many strobes do

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RSK, Oct 31, 2006.

1. RSK

RSK Senior Member

hi guys
    how many strobes lights do you have on your truck i have 10 led strobes on my rig :rolleyes:
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my truck dual roof strobe on during plowing///hideaway strobes///arrow stick

my brothers truck dual roof strobe

third truck roof dual rotator
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

im pretty sure its 12 on mine....8 in the light bar and one in each light corner
  4. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I considered putting led's in mine but either way I dont need lights. I should have them for safety but oh well. Keep in mind the more strobes on your truck the harder it is for other drivers to see. We have that problem in some local fire depts. They have so many lights on their chiefs trucks you cant see anything but them at car accidents. Just a thought
  5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I think they are silly.

No offense but if you guys wanna be a cop. Go take the exam.
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

LOL, RSK, you posted your question in the wrong forum, this is the picture forum. By the way this question is asked every year, do a search for "strobes" and you can read yourself on how many lights people have. Most all answered this question before and wish not to type a reply for a second / third time.

Good Luck
  7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

and you will always get people asking why you have strobes, that they are stupid etc. luckily its america and you can do what you want. :nod:
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

22" Dual Strobe mini-bar on top

Hideaway's all 4 corners

Only use the lightbar usually though...
  9. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

some people dont know any better !! LOL
  10. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

lol,you know i agree

If the driving public can't see one bar light on top of your truck just give up,putting those hide away strobes is foolish and impractical and makes the truck look like a toy not to mention a waste of money that most drivers won't see to begin with.
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

IMO the hideways catch my eye first before the lioghtbar in certain situations. From a long range the lightbar comes into view first. I think the more the better as long as you use them properly and not use them to try to get people to pull over for you. You can never have too much warning to other drivers about what you are doing. Some still can't figure it out.:realmad:
  12. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

You've got that rite.No matter how many lights you put on drivers still can't ever "see" you.

Also since no one has brought it up contact your local DOT since strobes have rules on what you can and can not use them for and where you can or can not have them on your truck,different rules for different states or provinces.
  13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

10 in my Whelen Liberty LED Lightbar
    2 TIR3s on my liscense plate
    2 Hideaway Strobes in my Reverse Lights
  14. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

on strobe that sits on the top of my truck and blinks lol nothing fan fan
  15. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

One Highlighter on top. That is all I need.
  16. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I disagree about them being just for cops. There are many purposes for strobes on a vehicle. Warning lights are made for all types of occupations. This is one situation where other drivers must be aware of what you're doing on the road. It is foolish if they're used when you're not plowing, but once you drop that blade, they should go on!
  17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i drive a tow truck part time i love rely and need my lights have you ever been trying to load a car up on the side of the highway with cars and trucks whipping by at 60+ mph its tough i guess this carries over to my pick up thats why i have all the lights but i usually just use the roof strobe
  18. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Wait till you've been plowing for 10 hours stright and the snow is falling, big flakes, the strobe flash reflecting off the flakes will give you an instant headache.

I had a 60 watt set in all corners of the truck and then upgraded to the 90 watt Whelen 6 head kit, what a mistake, they are so bright and blinking off the snow drove me crazy. I even sold my Whelen Strobe light bar, that was bad as well. Now, I loaded the truck up with LED's, the new Whelen LED light bar, and a few others, cost a ton more but totally worth it, no flash what so ever, plus a lot brighter and less power.

If anyone is interested let me know, I'll make you a great deal on the strobe kit, heads and controller.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Most states require that you have "A " amber light that can be seen for "X amount of feet, on when engaged in snow plowing/removal.

I have a duel (amber) rotator on the roof.

I agree with you, some people get a little carried away with all the lights...

I makes them look like a rolling carnival side show:waving: ... JMO
  20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Hideaways in the front are no good. LED's are worth all the money. Strobes just bounce and reflect off the snow, AND THE PLOW. LEDs.........much brighter and better.....