1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many storms?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Steeley, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Steeley

Steeley Junior Member
    from Maine

I was wondering how many storms you plan on for a bid job I live in Brunswick, Maine also looking fo how many times you have to sand in a year a guess would be good

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

You really have to check the history for your area. Usually average the past 5 years, then add some for safety.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Steeley, if you'd like, I've kept records of snowfalls for the Palermo area for the past three years.

Basically, I use a factor of "12" to figure seasonals. If you don't know how to use that, send me a PM and I'll show you how I figure seasonal contracts.

4. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

The average for me in Hollis over the last 9 years comes to around 11 plowable events per season. I have a high of 15 and a low of 7. I have always used 12 or 13 as a base for seasonal accounts. I do have one commercial "keep clean" account that I plow appox. 20 times a year (my favorite). As far as sanding goes, I have no idea. I'm just getting into that myself.
    Hope this helps.

5. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Steeley,
    Forgot to mention, the trigger depth will greatly affect how many times you need to plow. 3" vs. "keep clean". I will plow 1/2" at my keep clean account.

6. Steeley

Steeley Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the info