1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many snow events do you average?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtreem3d, Oct 31, 2007.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys,
    i was wanting to know from you guys up north/east(not canada) how many snow "events" do you think you average in a season and what is the start / stop dates for your season. i'm sort of playing with the idea of starting, moving or subing my snow business from st. louis to up north for the winter (next year). i have 5 trucks and a skid loader that just don't get enough snow work down here any more
    thanks in advance,
    steve
    ps or let me ask another way...if you were going to move a snow business where would you look? i'm not familair enough w/ the north to know if stuff like lake effect snows are common and good money because of the long hours? ect....

2. $$ is in the city

If you come up here by the 45th parallel, everyone has a plow truck and commercial
    work is few and far between.

85% of the population of Michigan live in the lower 30% of the 'Lower' penninsula
    That leaves 12% for the northern 70% and 3% for the whole UP.

therefore, where is the $$$ ??
    in the cities.
    Not where the major snow falls.

(ie the money pays for plowing less snow)

tc

3. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Up here in northern Alberta, last year it snowed oct 29 and the snow didn't stop till march 07. Must have had 40 to 60 snow events where we had to clear the condo properties. For the parking lots that don't get cleared as often as the sidewalks, let's say 10 to 15 events depending on the properties, some only did them 3 or 4 times. It's a mixed bag. Some do it on every 5cm while others wait till the cars get stuck and trucks and blades won't work worth a darn in those situations...only skid steers and many hours.

Lots of -25c and howling winds. The cold is the hardest thing here. It'll snow and then we'll get an artic high and the temps just dive. Makes you want to cry uncle.

As far as bobcats, all my lots are by the hour so no question if it snows the parking lot part of it is guaranteed to plow in the money. "NO" per event stuff here, no, all by the hour so I'll charge 1 hour to go there and 1 hour to leave even though it may take me only 10 minutes. And the city has most bobcats in the city on retainer in case it snows, so when in does come down, besides our 15 miles of sidewalks, we'll run 18 hours days till we puke.

The great white north...:eek:

:)

4. 11 Mini Ditkas

11 Mini Ditkas Junior Member
    from Midwest

Xtreem:

Have you considered a shorter move, to Chicago, or maybe the upper midwest? The workload and rates are good, but the move should have less impact on your business/family/employees. I don't know much about the surrounding markets, but I could give my two cents on Chicago.

Tom

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

id say move to maine but i dont think you have enough equipment there to do any big commercials and all the small stuff is pretty competitive. on the bright side i was just talking to mick and he says we are due for a big snow year this year and micks always right.:)

6. xtreem3d

tom,
    chicago would be an option, just some place that gets more snow work than st.louis, maybe way up north and east are too tough to make what i make here. i don't think i need to get top dollar but if i can stay close to the rate i make in st. louis with more events to make it worth while i'd be happy. i don't count on snow as my primary income.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

In MA just west of Boston I average (19 years) 12 storms over 2" season.... except the last 2 seasons Ive averaged 5:mad:

8. xtreem3d

wow !!! that's quite a hit huh?

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

In MN, 20 miles north of St. Paul, I base my yearly commercial service agreements on 18 events at 1.5"+.

Last year I plowed 16 times, and that included multiple trips with back to back weekends of snow at 20". One Friday-Sunday we received 21", the next weekend we received 20"+, then the next Tuesday we received another 4".

I plowed everything 5-6 times in that week, so a total of 10 times the rest of the season.

The year before that, I plowed a total of 7 times.

Luckily I have everything on contract. I can keep everything on contract too, but the new stuff is getting harder to sign up that way.

10. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

We average 18-20 events of 4"+ hear in the city of Buffalo, NY. 5 miles south of the city its more.