1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many residential's per truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theguynextdoor, Nov 2, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I was just wondering how many residentials you guys assign per plow truck. So far I'm at 45 to 50 driveways within 1.5 miles from my house and most are in my immediate neighborhood. I am expecting more driveways. I have 2 trucks. As of now I'll be doing them by myself, but if I hit 60 I think I'll need the other truck going. I have a driver for the truck, but I'm just wondering how many driveways you can do with each truck. The drives need to be done by around 7am.

2. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

That is a lot of drives already. I would go for two trucks as it is. Depends how your trigger is, easy and quick to plow two inches. Also how long and complicated these drives are, and what kinda set up you have. However long you think it will take add some time, from what I have found. Being all close together is really going to make a big difference for you.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

As Farm Boss says Depends.... on driveway, truck, plow, type of snow, how fast you are.....
    My average driveway is L shaped 100 Ft long with a 2 car garage. I can do 76 with one JEEP.

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Plowmeister, I'd always been amazed when reading your driveway totals, but I expect you have THE driveway machine right there with that Jeep. I've wondered how long 76 driveways take you. At most, I've done 40 driveways & a couple commercials, and in a 6-mile radius it still takes 4 hours to get around completely.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

40-50 and all done by 7am? You must be hoping the snow is done by 3am. I would definately get 2 trucks in case one breaks. 2 trucks is always a bonus.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya you never know when a truck will break down in this buisnes.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you have a certain start time regardless if it is still snowing you can't have a guarantee time. There is one company here that does 306 with 4 trucks.

8. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

40 driveways in a urban area isn't that far fetched but are walks included?.Your route is tight by what you've explained and with 2 trucks in good working order I'd go out on a limb and say 70-80.

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I would normally say 32-37 per truck as an average. You did say that they were real close together so I would probably stretch to 42-45 max per truck. DEF get another truck, and some more accounts! Great job!

10. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Thank you for the replies. I do have another truck. I have a 98 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ Western Unimount and just bought a Ford F250 with snowway plow. The snowway needs some new wiring, but no big deal. Just put 4-5 grand in the dodge, so hopefully I will be good to go for the winter. All new brakes and tires on both trucks. I am full insured with 2 million liability, and 1 million per truck with full liability/collision.

I've been getting a few more driveways here and there. I have 2 other drivers that I can use if needed. All but 7 of the houses are inside a quarter mile from my house. Most drives are average 2 car driveways. Doing sidewalks at a few houses and I have a few longer driveways, but the sidewalks can be done after all the drives are done. I'll plan on using the other truck and see how it goes first snow. Obviously it depends on when the snow starts and stops in order for us to get them done by 7am. But those conditions are stated in my contracts.

thanks.

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

jeesh! i have a hard time getting 20 accounts, i couldnt even imagine 40+.

what is your minimum price though? mine is generally $35, i have some in my route that i just couldnt charge more than $25 though.

12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

That must be nice to be able to have that many accounts so close. I envy you for that. I have 20ish which takes me 8-12 hrs, depending on the storm. Heck, out here you can not find that many in a 2 mile radius unless you are right in town, which does not get very much snow to speak of.

13. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Thats the same here, unless you are right in town a route takes much longer here just like you. I end up in Jackson Hole every yr for the hill climb, you have nice country all over out there!ussmileyflag

14. ECS

ECS Senior Member

The Hill Climb is like Sturis with sleds :D

May have to hook up come spring then.

15. plowem

plowem Junior Member
    from Maine

45 driveways shouldn't be a problem in that small a radius but why put a 7am finish time in there? what about storms that start at 7am? gonna have those done by 5? I do 32 driveways with snowblowers and charge more for the ones that want to be out early and I promise them I'll do my best god willing.

16. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

We run 2 F150's, we have 2 community's, 2 commercial accounts and 125 (and growing fast) residential driveways. The only way we are able to do it is because we live in a very upscale vacation are, we have a good 2 days after the storm to clear all the driveways

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

plowem...

maybe 7Am finish so they can get to work to make money to pay for plowing:rolleyes:. aaaaa if it starts to snow at 7AM then I gess there done by 7AM.

18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have one truck that does (roughly) 18 drives per storm. They all need to be done by 7:30am. The reason I can't do much more than this is because we do snowblowing/shoveling at each one. I have a pretty good crew though, so I may sign on a few more for them. But those just signing now will definitely have to pay.....

19. LockwoodLawn

LockwoodLawn Junior Member

My typical route was 42 residentials and several commercial properties in an evening including shoveling walks. It all depends on how good you are, how long you have taken care of the properties, and how bad you wnat to get to bed that night.ussmileyflag

20. Plow Newb

Plow Newb Junior Member
    from Toronto

Me and a buddy serviced 82 customers last season with one truck.. took about 10 hours...