1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many residentials for one guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by thetyguy, Feb 8, 2006.

1. thetyguy

thetyguy Junior Member

How many residential driveway can you expect to service in the suburbs with a jeep.

2. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Depends on a few things. If your route is tight enough,say like 2/3 houses a street and you can back drag a 2 car drive clean with a 6.5 blade in 4 pulls or less... I say keep it under 65.
    If your route is less than ideal, or you get out to shovel, 50 max.
    Good luck.payup

3. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I agree with KCB. I got out of residentials a couple years ago due to the pain of collecting money, and the constant complaining. But the trick is to get as many close together as possible. A subdivision is the perfect opportunity for this. What I would do is get as many in the same sub. as possible, then you can virtually eliminate drive time, which translates into more payup ! Good luck!

Bill

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

it all depends on how long the drive is and what size plow....we do some....i can do about 25 plus two small parkin lots in about 10 hours...it also depends on how close they are

5. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I also think it depends on your energy.If your alone and have say 30 properties your going to get a good workout especially if you get 6 inches or more of wet snow.What the other guys said is very true keep them close and you should just fine...

6. KCB

KCB Senior Member

My route of 54 houses takes me 5 to 6 hours max start to finish. This includes cleaning the front steps. My first year in this biz i did 25 in 4 hours with a Honda 6hp single stage and/or a shovel, depending on the snowfall. Now thats a workout:dizzy: :sleeping:

7. thetyguy

thetyguy Junior Member

:help: Ok How much to charge per driveway. I get estimates of $140 for the season at my house. It is only for plowing the driveway.

8. Driveway

First of all, There isnt a single driveway that i am doing for less than $200 for the season. Single wide drives are $210 and double wides are $225. How many can you do. Who knows! I have a buddy that does just under 400 a night. THey are all near each other and he has the infamous backblade/ rear plow. Impresive yes, Money making yes, but you have to get that many real close to each other. Me, I am doing 15-20 (i dont even know the exact number ) residentials on top of 9 BIG commericals, one church, and one private neigborhood that i spend over an hour in. Start smaller, figure out what you can handle per hour, then go from there
    - jon
    ps- remember that the prices in west michigan CAN be very different than the prices by you!

O YEAH. Let me point out this: I do these only running ONE truck!

9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Start out small!

I would start small, like first class said! Get about 20 drives and hopefully in the same town. Work from there! You'll get a taste of chasing money--with 20 you'll get 3 or 4 that are slow payers! Depending on how you set up your route then add slowly! When I had a large residential base--I figured what i could do in 4 hours and capped it at that. I only had about 25 driveways--some were way too far to travel, but thats the cost of doing bussiness! Now on seasonal contracts--Man thats working too cheep!! How many times do you go out a year! Need to make about $150/ hr with the truck.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That very inexpensive. We average about 14 storms in NH. 10 dollars a plow? I would sell my truck and plow and hang it up, if that was the price.

11. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I did $200/season, 3" trigger, half due upon signing the contract, half due by Jan15. Had about 25-30, divided between 2 subdivisions. Took about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, depending on snowfall and how hard I pressed it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I do around 20 residentials and 10 commercial parking lots. That's staying very busy with one truck for 8-10 hours. You are better off starting smaller and building from there...QUALITY VS. QUANTITY!!!!:nod: :nod:

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are doing mainly driveways then you want the right set up. Either a plow with down pressure or a back blade on your plow. Most snowfalls you will be able to back drag the entire driveway then push the snow up on the lawn. The time it takes to go from driveway to driveway will determine how many you can do. I have 13 on 1 street that take 1 1/2 hours to do and then I have 1 that is 20 minutes away and takes 20 minutes to do.

You will also need a back up plan if your truck brakes.

14. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would say charge per push...i avg. 45bucks a drive...start small dont do more than 20 just to get the hang of things...like i said b4 try to keep then close...and that jeep u have will be perfect for driveways my s10 works great...dont buy a new plow seeing that its the end of the season pick up something used cheap ull get a good deal for a jeep...my old western is great and its ten years old...plus u can do work on it in the off season seeing its right around the corner new paint rebuild pump if needed it will be all good...but good luck

15. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I agree, stick to the $200-225 amount for the full season. If you're putting a bid in for the rest of the season starting now then $140 is a fine amount. I just picked up a couple at the start of the new year and bid them at $150 each. Both driveways being two cars wide and about 25 feet long. Seemed reasonable at the time, and because of the messed up winter we've been having so far in Kalamazoo its worked out pretty for me ( only plowed 3 times since jan 1st). Just my two cents.

16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you gotta remember he is in cleveland guys, I have heard of $100-$120/season there... also it depnds on where in cleveland he is... out there a 3-5" trigger is not unheard of in the lake effect belt

17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Last year I did between 20-25 with a truck that was paid for, and a snowblower. Took me about 6-8 hours to complete.

This year I have a newer truck, truck payment, more insurance, plow, 2 snowblowers, etc. And I have 30-35 snow accounts with about 4 of them being commercial. It takes me about 8 hours on a 2" storm and about 15 hours in the big storms, if not longer...

Now, last year was harder because it required more leg work, however I also made ALOT more last year with doing it that way, plus people like the snowblower on their drive alot more than the plow, thus you can charge alot more. A couple storms last year I was making $280 an hour, no joke, and the neighbors kept coming out wanting me to do theirs, thus I was on one street for about 2-3 hours, charging $70 per drive, and each one would take me 15min with me and someone else. Dont get me wrong, I make good money with my current set up, when it DOES snow, and if it ever DOES FALL AGAIN, lol.

Anyway to answer your question I'd say around 30 or so. Alot of my drives are 8x75ft, 20x30, and then the 8x75 going up to the garage and then a half circle. Plus alot of my drives are close together, so it makes it real nice.

So it really depends on your lots and how far they are from eachother.

Good Luck!