1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many Residential drives for one truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ontario026, Nov 10, 2009.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

What's your thoughts on how many average Residential drives are adequately covered by one truck (3/4 ton, 8.5 xtremeV)??? say within a 20 mile radius?

Thanks
    Matthew

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

well i think im being signed up for 20 this year with my 8.6 staight. contractor says 3-4 hours.. that gives me 9-12 mins per drive to plow and be at the next one.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First all your spending to much time driving .you need to hit whole subdivisions .This way your plowing not driving to do one here and one there.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My whole route isn't 20 miles long and I do 30+ drives and a bunch of commercials too.

5. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

To much driving in between drives. I agree with Grandview

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A 20 mile radius is 40 miles apart. Not that many IMO. Driving in the storm can take awhile. Going back to plow after the street plow only to find he hasn't been yet could be a problem also.

7. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

The only reason I look at such a large area is that I run a marina, and we stay open during the winter (cut back hours, and skip out some snow days) since we sell and service Argos. I live close to 20 miles away in another town. So service anyone in the town I live in, or in the village where my marina is, and anyone on the way.... I got my extremeV last year, but too late to get more than a few plow customers other than my own business lot, but this year so far I have right now 3 quite small parking lots and about 8 confirmed resi drives, and probably another 4 resi quotes that should pan out as well, I just want to make sure I don't over extend myself...

Matthew

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would think you can handle more work then that.
    What's your idea of a resi drive. Here it is 20X50.
    Most guys here plan on a 8 hour route. Your's looks to be a lot less then that.

9. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

How do you market to increase customer density in specific subdivisions? I do regular mailouts, etc.without great results. What advertising do you employ? And what service do you get the most response from? Example - do you offer shovelling at an increased price, or only dropping the plow, and what snow fall event triggers service?????

Anyone try marketing this - cheaper service rates at lower service level and frequency work to attract new clients. Lower service level = no shovelling at garage doors and walks. Less Frequency = doing routes at `2 inches instead of every snowfall

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I found the best way to get new contracts was to put your price on the flier. Deliver them yourself to the specific area you want. I had a 1" trigger but never got out of the truck. Do really good work and you will get the clients that are getting poor service.

11. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I figure I can handle some more, I have a spot in the top corner of 2 local news paper front pages where I have been advertizing boats, I have had them both change the ads to Snow Plowing for this up coming week, should be able to pick up a few more there.. Plus my wife made me up some fliers, which I have been stuffing mail boxes with in the small village where my marina is.... Luckily for me, but unlucky for the other fellow, a gentleman who had what seems to be a fair number of resi customers had a stroke, and had his license revoked, so was forced to give up plowing, so I have already secured several of his old customers, and hopefully will snag a few more with the ads on the 2 news paper front pages....

Matthew

12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Depends how fast you have to get to them, size of storm, how long/big driveways are. Lots of variables.

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Be careful putting flyers IN mailboxes. (Postage Regulation)

14. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

small radius is the key. keep em close and clustered.

15. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

20 miles is a HUGE radius! I do 25 drives in a 5 mile radius and that's too big of an area. Each year I prune the ones on the outside and try to get more that are closer together.

16. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

When I had a full schedule I did 35 driveways and one commercial lot. The lot took about an hour. The driveways took about another 3. Mine are all in developments and I have at least 5 in each one.

17. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

one of our trucks does 72 in an 8 hour day.

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

"A 20 mile radius" thats quite a bit of driving, especially in a bad storm. I wouldnt even toy with driving that long. You need to (if you can) focus on maybe a 5-7 mile radius. We focus on entire subdivisions...very little drive time, usually smaller driveways and oh yeah, very little drive time.

19. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

72? what do you have a 20 ft wideout on that thing u just pull in backdrag the entire drive? wow, last year i had 15 average size drives in a 5 mile radius finished up in about 3 hours.

20. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy:

:laughing: