1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many quarts to refill E-47?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by sickofwinter, Dec 23, 2008.

1. sickofwinter

sickofwinter Junior Member

I got a pinched line the other day and lost all my fluid before noticing. Anyway I'm gonna flush the system just wondering if anyone can tell me how many quarts of M1 I should get to fill the unit and angle pistons. Also if anyone has any tips/tricks to bleeding/refilling I would appreciate it, this is my first time changing fluid and I don't wanna mess anything up.:dizzy:
  2. jwkv

jwkv Member

It's like 1qt 12 oz. Depends on the size of your cylinders. I've never rebuilt one yet but I would imagine it is best to get as much air out of the cylinders by filling them manually. One extended fully and the other compressed. Fill the hoses. install the couplers. fill the reservoir. Hookit it all up. Operate it to get rid of the air. Top it back up.. run it again to make sure there is no air. Check the level again and that should be it. Hopefully someone will us know if this is correct.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Assuming you have flushed out the pump, hoses, rams and cleaned the filters, and have put in the right fluid in the pump, (1 1/2 in. from the top), just reconnect the hoses.
    Now just work your plow a few times, letting the pump fill everything up, and then recheck your fluid level because it will be low from filling up the rams and hoses.

You might have some air in the system now so put your plow lower than your truck and work the plow back and forth and that will bleed them. Good luck.
  4. sickofwinter

I'm flushing it out today, filters, hoses, etc.., I just needed to know how many qt's to get at the store (@ $17\qt I don't want to get much more than needed!) Thanks for the help
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Two quarts. One for the pump and one to put in your truck for an emergency like this one.
  6. sickofwinter

Speaking of emergencies like this one, is there anyway to make a temp repair to a hose, maybe a heat shrink tube or something like that? Guess I should also just carry spare hoses
  7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

There maybe, but I have never heard of it. Spare hoses and couplers and make sure they are the right ones.
  8. sickofwinter

ok, well here's my next question, when I bleed the angle pistons, would it be easier to start them both fully retracted? Also, whats the best way to flush the unit? Should I just pour the cleaner in the fill hole and let it come out the drain and filter holes? Or should I fill it with cleaner and shake it around some? Also I'm planning on using kerosene to flush with (it's all I can find) should I also flush out the angle pistons with that?:confused:
  9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I once temporarily fixed a hose with a piece of garden hose and a few hose clamps. I split the hose put it around the hydro hose and clamped it. Keep in mind the hose was very old and seeping out due to a crack in the line and it was not split . It fixed it to more of controlled drip and got me through the weekend until I got a new one.
  10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Here is what I do from reading all the previous posts.

To change plow fluid:
    Set the a-frame on block so the plow is off ground and the blade can be moved back and forth.
    Drain the pump. For my E-60, the Allen plug is at the bottom of the pump. If there isn’t a plug to empty it, you may have to turn the pump upside down and drain through the refill hole. Or you can use a suction pump and suck it out, which may be easier if you have a suction pump. I never tried that though. Clean or replace your pump filters
    Drain the angle rams by removing the quick connects and using an extra set of quick connects with hoses going into a bucket or else it will go into the ground or floor. Now move the plow back and forth by hand emptying the rams. Connect the regular hoses up as normal. You can now refill the pump with the proper fluid if you don’t think you need to flush the system. When you refill the system, or just checking the level, be sure the Lift Cylinder Ram is all the way down before refilling the system. After you refill it, you'll need to operate the plow functions a few time's with the front of the Angle cylinders lower than the rear, to work out any air that gets in the system and then remove the fill plug again and top it off with fluid.

To Flush the system:
    After emptying the pump and rams as described above, remove the extra quick connects and hook up as normal and fill the pump with Naptha.
    Cycle all functions of the pump with the plow controls for a few times.
    Drain pump and angle rams as you just did and fill with the proper fluid.
    IF the first oil and or Naptha comes out dirty, I repeat the above using clean naptha until naptha comes out clean. If it comes out milky, you may have water getting into your system. If the second flush comes out nice and clean, save that and use it for the first flush the next time you Flush the system. If you just have to use Kerosene, then meyers recomends using Naptha to get the Kerosene out before filling it with the proper fluid.

A good method to bleed the system of air is to park with the angle cylinders pointed down hill so that the ports in the cylinders are higher than the front part of the cylinder. Start angling the plow and this will push the air up and out of the pressure relief fitting.
  11. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

28 oz.pump only. 44oz pump, hoses, and rams. :salute: