1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many pushes will you do on a residential driveway in 1 storm?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ric3077, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 Junior Member

I live in the STL area and we don't get much snow usually 2 inches max...however today we are going to get like 6-8 inches...BUT before the snow started we got a half inch of ice, so now we have ice covered with 2 inches of snow...my questions is should I plow now, then put down ice melt to get teh ice softened...then plow again when the storm is done? And charge the customer for 2 pushes? Or wait till it is done and have a miserable time clearing the driveway? Thanks!

2. Easy

Easy Senior Member

On contracts, you should set a limit, such as:- max. 2 plows per day.
    On per push accounts I usually plow in the a.m. before they go to work, and again in the afternoon, if needed, before they come home.
    I bill for both at full agreed upon rate.

Don

3. Ric3077

Ric3077 Junior Member

Ok, I do not have contracts with these people I will do that for next year however my my purposes for this storm what do you suggest?

4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

It may not hurt to give them a call and see what they want to do.

5. Ric3077

Ric3077 Junior Member

Yea thats what I was thinking...I only have like 4 driveways so I am just going to call them thanks!

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Don't ask them, though...SUGGEST to them what your intentions are, and the benefits to it...This way, it would be more probability of a sale.

7. Rickco

Rickco Member

I agree,suggest but let them make the call. No crying about the bill if they say to plow twice.
    Good luck and be safe.

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 Junior Member

Only one account said plow once the rest said plow twice....thanks guys! :redbounce :bluebounc :redbounce :bluebounc

9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Went this route his morning, but they called me. Wanted to know if I could wait till the end of the storm to plow. I said it depends on the amount we get. I told them if we get
    6-8" today I would be there to do it twice, once tonight and again tomorrow when it stopped snowing. I told them their area was to small to try and push 8" plus inches of snow at one time. Then they wanted to know if they had to pay twice. I said yeah, I was there twice. Seems there are always some that want you there multiple times and only pay for a one time push. They may not be here next year if it gets to be a problem for the rest of this season.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Don;t ask a customer what they want you to do, suggest what should be done. Not only the probability of the sale as mentioned, but we are supposed to be the professionals. We're supposed to know what the correct or best method of action is, asking the customer the wrong thing, or asking the wrong way can seriously undermine their confidence in you.

If you have a salting contract or agreement, I would push at around 4 inches, salt the heck out of it, then plow again at the next 4 inch-ish interval (or the end if it's close) and salt again.

My customers who have salting agreements pay me to determine when to salt and when to plow as long as they can get in and out when they hav stated they need to. If I determine I need to salt 4 times, I do it. Sometimes they complain, but once they understand the reason why I did it they usually are fine. If I don;t have a salting agreement I don;t salt- period. Not only do I refuse to do work I am not paid for (plowing and salting are 2 different things) but I refuse to accept the liability for the salt or lack of salt creating a slippery and dangerious condition. It is not my responsibility to salt, but if I do so legally I can assume some of the responsibility for accidents that occur there.