1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many pushes this past winter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bowtie_guy, Apr 9, 2005.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

My g/f is doing a project for school and has to figure out how many pushes a company might do in a year. By pushes I mean times out.

If some people could give an idea of how many times they were out, that would be cool. Anyone up in ontario expecially.

Thanks!!

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i think the natianol weather service has a listing of average snowfall and events per year by citys i dont no what the website is but you can google it

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

With residential and a 3" trigger, I plowed the full route seven times. However, I also had a couple of customers who wanted drifts pushed which added five or six trips for them. Also, the seven does not include trips for ice (sanding). Further, I have some customers who wanted plowed with less than 3".

You'll find that people with commercial accounts were out more often.

I'm curious as to what kind of a class would research such a subject.

4. duramaxed

duramaxed Junior Member

we plowed 18 or more times this year ( I can get the exact if you really want it). According to Environment Canada, we were about 6cm(app.2in) shy of the all time record. It was are best year ever. Hope it won't be a letdown next year:drinkup:

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I did ALL customers 16 times this year (2.5" trigger), plus smaller trigger on my biggest contract (ie: plow and salt). Also, some smaller storms that were more localized needed plowing in certain areas only, so they were not included.

I had a busy season! :nod:

6. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

We did commercials 3 times this past winter.
    Seems like every storm just went around us in central Iowa.

Oh well, theres always next year,
    Mark K

7. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

awsome thanks for the input. The class is cost management, she is in accounting, and they have a company which does fencing during the summer so they need to plan a way to make some money during the winter. :drinkup:

Forgot to ask but anyone able to give an idea as to how many driveways 2 3/4 ton trucks could plow during a storm?? Also a ball park amount these two trucks could make if they plowed and sanded per driveway???

Thanks alot!!! I don't have a clue to this since I just play around doing my driveway and a few neighbours.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's not the NUMBER of driveways, but the number of hours per truck that you want to work with. Probably a good average would be five hours per truck for an average snowfall (about 4-6 inches). Deeper snowfalls would take somewhat longer, and some storms will keep your trucks and drivers out longer, but that would be a good start.

If I were setting this up, I'd stick with planning on plowing all driveways and sanding perhaps 10% of those. Then I'd plan to make around $125 (US) per truck per hour. As for sanding, I'd plan on charging twice my cost to spread sand (or salt), if I'm using a Vbox spreader and bulk material.

As a side note, I'd also have one of those trucks as a dedicated sanding truck. The sander could be switched to the other in an emergency. Then, of course all sanding & plowing accounts would go to that dedicated truck.

You also want a plan in case one truck breaks down. Whether it's to have the second truck do all of the accounts or a third truck designated as "backup truck".

If she's interested, I developed a very rudimentary Business Plan for a snowplowing business: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=17545&highlight=Business+Plan
    Hope this helps a little in setting up her company.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005