1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many properties can I handle?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by foso130, Jan 6, 2012.

1. foso130

foso130 Junior Member

I'll try to keep this as short as I can. I have a truck, 2 single stage blowers and a shovel, getting insurance this week, and have been advertising for awhile biz cards and the whole 9 yards. I have bid on and one small commercial property, (4 parking spots and a really small sidewalk, probably about the same size as a 2 car drive & walk). I have a couple residental customers as well, My question to you, the pro's is this, How many 2 car drives (assuming there roughly in the same area) should I be able to complete in a timely manner? I will usually be working with at least one employee, sometimes two. Thanks for the input guys!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All depends on how experienced you are in this business.What I can do and what you can are 2 different things.
  3. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

id say about 15, 20 if you are really good at loading and unloading.. The key when you are using snowblowers is to have houses next to each other so you can park the truck in one spot and do a few before your loading up again.. The best is when they have sidewalks you can charge them extra for the sidewalk and you have to go that distance anyway + your making extra money. But it all depends if you have 12 houses and they are all 3 miles apart you are going to run into some trouble
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Depends on the drive and how close together they are. I can do ~75 with one jeep, no sidewalks. when I had a F150 I could do about 40 drives.
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

id say your maxed out...
  6. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

when i was 18 i did 150 drives a night with a jeep!

im down to like 80 now with lots of commercial.. but we now have more than one truck also.
  7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

There are so many variables it's almost impossible to answer that question.

As mentioned, it depends on the individual, equipment, proximity of accounts, rate of snow, when it starts and stops snowing, etc. I do mostly commercial, and can easily handle my route under most circumstances, but there have been some storms that dumped so much snow so quick, I could barely handle it.
  8. Brantley_Dev

Brantley_Dev Junior Member

I have 3 trucks, 2 guys to a truck and 140 residentail properties 4 commercial between 4 Detroit suburb cities. We are out all day
  9. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Dont worry about how many you can do! Worry how many you can get! If you can get more then you can handle the you will know how many you can do!
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 Junior Member

We do around 20 residential accounts sometimes we do more if other customers call. We have a similar setup 3 Toro 221QR and shovels and the accounts we have keep us plenty busy. There are storms when I feel we could handle twice the number of accounts we have but then there are storms when we have to clear the accounts we have twice before the storm is over and that pushes us to our limit.
  11. Stowe

Stowe Member

Driveway route

How Close our your driveways to each other.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. foso130

foso130 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I have some sub work lined up too. The drives are all next to each other.
  13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Canplow its all good like that until someone gets pissed at you
  14. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Our routes are 3-4 hours leaving more time for bad storms. So I would say keep your work load to that.
  15. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Yes but in the business of making money if you have to turn down business its better then not having enuf to keep you busy! Dont burn the bridges! Priortize your route some people dont mind being plowed out after the plows go by! "You wont make money if you dont have the work. If your turning down work your making money" dont have a what can I do attitude take a I can do it attitude!