1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many pounds of salt will a 5 gallon bucket hold?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dieselboy01, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Just wondering how many pounds of bulk treated salt will fit into a 5 gallon bucket?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It varies depending on the moisture content of the salt.

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

1. fill 5 gallon bucket with salt.
    2.????
    3. profit?

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

App.50 lbs.

5. dieselboy01

The same as the underpants gnomes....

I was going to fallow the county trucks around and shovel up the piles they leave :laughing:

A friend said I can use some of his bulk treated salt if I run low on bags (and the bulk would be much cheaper) I was just thinking of how I can meter or measure the amount I get from him and the amount I spread.

I was thinking around 40lbs per bucket, just wondering if anyone ever weighted it.

6. AMS77

AMS77 Senior Member
    from 43964

I had a bucket weighed at the feed store the other day and it was approx 58 pounds. But like basher said its going to vary with moisture content.

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

If my wife packs it like her suitcase...10 gallons!!!

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

my straight rock salt buckets are 45-50lbs, I do leave a bit of room though at top(1-2inch)

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Is this Imperial or Metric salt?

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Seems to me that they've been getting heavier and heavier over the last 25 years! Can't figure out what's going on!:confused:

11. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Depends on which day of the week it is!

12. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

put a bunch of them out in rows the width of a tractor bucket, dump salt, put them in truck, drive away as loader cleans up the excess, save money on bagged salt (about a third of the cost) as you dump pails into your tailgate spreader, laugh when the customer gives you your bigger profit margin payup!

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think I stuttered.I sell Magic regularly in my 5 gallon pails,have app.25 ready for market right now.Asked and answered--app. 50lbs.

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

wow i was getting ready to post a question about moisture content...seems some of the outdoor piles are loaded with water being a wetter year

15. dieselboy01

Thanks for all the input guys!!

I will be laughing while I'm dumping my buckets in, I'm starting to plan for next year to reduce cost and make things a little easier.

Lining up the buckets and using the tractor is a great idea! I just bought some buckets and screw top lids to give it a trial run this year.

Tuney443, I don't think you stuttered either, I read ya loud and clear. I was saying what I guessed they weighed. Thank you for the info!

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't pay for buckets,find some drywall guys and take their empty buckets.Be careful though,you might find a smelly surprise inside!

17. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

What do you get for the 5 gall magic pails?

18. ducaticorse

from we

That's what I do to fill my buckets.

19. SaratogaSnowPro

SaratogaSnowPro Junior Member

Yes, depends on the moisture in the salt. With IBG Magic,We can put 60 plus pounds in a 5 gallon bucket if we fill it to the top. Our salt is bone dry when we spray it with Ice B Gone Magic.

20. ducaticorse

from we

Mine are 60 to, but about 3 inches from the top. Our stuff is really wet, and the granules are small to medium in size. Burns off light snow really really well.