1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Many Plow Vehicles In YOUR Fleet This Year?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Nov 16, 2005.

?

How many PLOWING vehicles in YOUR fleet this year?

1. I don't plow, I am just a poser here to look cool.

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. I only have a shovel. :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One.

33 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Two.

24 vote(s)
    21.8%
  5. Three.

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Four.

11 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Five-to-Eight of the suckers.

19 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nine-to-twelve of 'em.

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Thirteen or more... and I'm almost out of Parking Spaces!

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  10. I use snowblowers primarily.

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'm just curious how many trucks/snowpushers you guys are using this year. I'm thinking, lets not include support vehicles, like loaders (unless primarily used for plowing), dump trucks, dedicated salter trucks etc. (though you could mention them below if you reply), I'm mainly curious about the actual snow movers.

2. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

As you can see, I have three trucks in my collection.

But I'm going to usually be using the International this winter, and have an employee drive my personal 86 Chevy (last winter this was not in use). The 73 I use on a couple small driveways and will again this winter. The rest are my family business's trucks and I don't operate them much except during summer. Last winter I did sanding with the 81 Chevy and plowed/sanded two developments with it. This winter it's operated by someone else as I am gonna enjoy driving my International. I might add a plow to it next winter, but just sanding with it this winter. payup payup I have a lot of sanding contracts with it.

I figure, if the snow gets deep enough to plow, I can go and plow the couple of driveways I use my 73 with, and wait for the lots to be plowed and then go and sand after I finish plowing.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  3. derekbroerse

This is my first year with a second truck. Should be interesting.

My primary truck is my '82 GMC K35 that everyone has seen on here for years being steadily upgraded. It has a dumpbox and a 9'-2" Boss Power-V.

The secondary truck is a '78 Chevy K30, with a dumping stake body, 9'-2" Boss Power-V, and an 8' Flink spreader on the back.

My 'support' vehicles are my International B275 diesel loader tractor for stacking snow, loading salt, and running my 6' McKee snowblower or my backup three-point hitch Vicon spreader, an International single-axle dumptruck for hauling overloaded properties' snow away, and my '90 S15 4x4 which runs around with my mechanic (re: dad), tow chains and tools on board.

I'm glad to say that this year is also my first having a building to work out of, a 60x30' pole barn on my neighbours property, bartered for cutting his grass and plowing his snow. I'm just finishing installing hydro in there... wish it was insulated but it sure beats working in the driveway!

4. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I love the '78 Chevy trucks. After this winter I might buy like a 77 or 78 truck and I'll be looking.. but it's hard to find one without the big rust holes in them.

What year is your International truck?

How do you like the Boss Power-V's? I've never used a Boss but enjoy looking at the brochures, lol. They look great.

5. derekbroerse

My '78 is a bit of a bondo-bucket but it looks good from 20 feet away at 20 mph. Runs like a champ too. I have a '79 GMC 1500 shorbox that I am building for residential work too, if I ever get back on the poor thing. Needs a full body job, but I aint scared!!! lol

The International truck actually belongs to a friend who doesn't use it in the winter, so I kind of take over it. I believe it is an '85 or so, does S1900 sound like the right model? It has (unfortunately) the 9.0L V8 diesel dog motor but the nice heavy Allison automatic behind it. I don't think the axles are overly heavy (it used to be a flower delivery truck) but for snow use it is just fine--the only accounts I would need it for are very small properties--hence needing to truck it away.

6. derekbroerse

Those of you with more than five should be standing up loud and proud!!! Who has the biggest fleet on here, anyways?

:bluebounc

7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

3 loaders
    2 backhoes
    2 skidsteers
    10 plow trucks
    3 sidewalk trucks
    1 salt only truck

8. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

1 truck
    2 blackhoes

lol

9. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

17 trucks
    2 bobcats

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

14 of my own Pieces when everything is rolling. See signature for list.

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have two trucks.

12. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Up to seven trucks plus an ATV with a blade this year. I really should edit my profile.
    We are still looking to do this as a full time gig. Close but not quite there yet.
    My partner and I still have full time day jobs and we do most of our own repairs and maintenance. Still looking for a couple of good reliable drivers and/or subs. That is the hardest part ( finding good people ).

Bob

13. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i have 800 trucks.

14. westwind

westwind Member

7 Trucks 3 JD skid-steers.

15. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

1 truck: '04 F150 with 7'6" Western Ultramount Pro and 1 quad: Honda Rincon 650 with 5' Kimpex Blade.

16. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

50 trucks at hand 15 on reserve

17. derekbroerse

I take it you have full-time mechanics and a large shop with a number that large? Probably estimators and a secretary too?

Nicely done.

18. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

2 trucks.

2 hours of sleep.

19. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

7 plow trucks
    2 getting plows mounted
    2 skid steers w/ 10' Degelman Pushers
    2 Loaders (leased , go dit better snow)

hopefully adding to back-up trucks next week, but who knows

20. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Used to. We strayed away from that and all of our drivers own their trucks now. All the company owns is a 2000 1/2ton dodge ram, 2070 Mustang Skid, 96 GMC 1ton with a brand new Fisher stainless spreader, and a 98 Sterling dump with a vibratory box and salt spreader and belly blade.

This way, we don't have to worry about trucks breaking down in the middle of the night; it's the drivers’ responsibility. Most of their trucks are 96 or newer. Drivers take better care of stuff when it is their own.

We do have 3 estimators though.