1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Many passes per storm?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jaspell, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

I do only residential---typically 20 x 50 driveways at 40 per push up to a foot, $10.00 surcharge over that plus extra for shoveling. My question is, during an ongoing stom like we sometimes have in New England, do you guys think it's right to charge the full price each visit during the same storm? For example, say it starts snowing at 1PM, there is 6" by dinner time. I do a plow run that evening. It keeps snowing an extra 6" overnight, thus requiring a 2nd pass in the morning. Do you chrage for 1 visit or 2? Around here, it is unrealistic to say, why don't you just do it once in the morning. The customers wont stand for that.

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We plow at every 4" in an ongoing event, residentials get charged for each push, unless they're on a seasonal contract. Commercials are a little different, they get charged for an open, because we only do a partial plowing during an ongoing event.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You plow ,you charge.

Unless your seasonal,then you just plow.

I'd be more worried about them calling you with over a foot of snow in the driveway.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i was thinking the same thing,,,,,imagine if you plowed at 3 inches you just doubled your money (and provided better service unless your trigger is 6")

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's better to get a call asking why did you plow vs. a call asking you to help them get unstuck.

As for billing, you have to use a little discretion. A storm like that I might bill 1.5, or 2. Three visits by the time it's all said and done is two charges.

Of course, you could spell it out with the customer at the beginning of the season. You know, if you want to be all professional about it.

6. DCL

DCL Member

This is how we decided to put in in our contracts...(average residential)

2-5" (1 visit) $40.00
    6-10" (2 visits) $70.00
    11"+ (3+ visits) $105.00

Most everyone has been understanding but we certainly have got a few of those "well just plow me when the storms over". We just tell them this is how we do it and can not really change much otherwise everyone would have different specs and during storm it would get too crazy!

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I charge per storm not each time I show up, one price up to 8" of snow. Over 8" I charge by the inch.

Works for me.

as to how many passes depends on the storm, When it starts, when it ends, If it starts at 3:00 PM and snows untill midnight. one pass. If it starts at noon and snows untill 9:pM 2 passes. one so the customer can get in at 5 PM and one for cleanup.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Exactly the same here with the exception of our seasonal's of course.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I charge for each visit unless it is a "clean-up"

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

On a 8" storm i'll plow it at full price and then go back after for a clean up charging half of full price. 8" or more usally leads into the night and next day so i end up plowing twice at full price and then a clean up price.