1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you wax your um........

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sluggermn, Dec 22, 2008.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

plow blade?.................... now get your mind out of the gutter.

I was told by a guy the other day to go to the dollar store and pick up a big block of parifin and wax the front of the plow to make the snow roll off it easier and to keep the snow from sticking to it when stacking.

how many of you do this and how often?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would guess quite a few. At the beginning of the season - use regular car wax.
  3. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

I use car wax
  4. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I've heard of people waxing poly blades with ski wax. Never did it myself though.
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Fluid Film works real well. Extreemly slippery and never dries up.
  6. Search this forum for "Fluid Film"
  7. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I don't care, I just want this guys snowblower!
  8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Oh, And i do wax it. Tried fluid film....ehhh...it worksish
  9. It's a nice toy. Liked it so much we got another!
  10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Fluid Film is like snow glue on my fisher. I would have been better off without it. A little dampness in the snow coming down and it was terrible. Last storm I was swearing at FLuid Film. For rust it is great.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I agree...

Spray fluid film on your plow if your WANT the snow to stick.
  12. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Now that is a bummer. I have read so many post last year that said it worked good for plow moldboards. Guys were saying that they bought it by the big buckets and painted it on their moldboards. I stand corrected. I do know it works good and maybe too good for rusty hinges or hinges on your car doors. Live and learn.
  13. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

Pedros synthetic chain wax/ it's the bomb!
  14. daninline

daninline Senior Member

how about getting the plow sand blasted and then teflon coated :) not cheep but it would work good.
    I used to work with teflons that were baked on at 700F and boy it was tuff and slippery.

I need to do something too the last storm I was draging around the iceberg that sank that little boat back when :D
  15. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

You should let us know how teflon would stand up over time. I know my teflon pots get beat up by metal spatulas over time.
  16. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I Fluid Filmed everything on my plow this winter, I wish I never did it. The snow sticked to it so bad. I went washed it off the best I could & all of the dirt sticks to them.
  17. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid film attracts anything and everything...

Spray it on your mowers....and you'll see the nastiest looking machine by the end of the route.

Spray it on your plow...and you'll see snow stick in places you've never knew snow could stick.

Waste of money IMHO.

It's a lubricant that absorbs into the pores of things and causes debris to stick to it...nothing special.
  18. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

I use silicone spray. I shoot the entire undercarrige on the trucks and plows,it takes about 10mins and I am done! Home Cheapo sell it cheap.The trucks I usually do a few days before if I know a storm is coming, The underside of my 97 Silverado looks almost new! (I have done it to my truck since new). I just started on my new Rubicon,,,,,,
  19. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I use 3m marine wax on the mouldboard, fluid film on the hardware behind the plow, I also have silicone and wd40. fluid film has its uses but you just can't cover your entire plow. I would never use it on a mower deck I would on some of the hardware with the straw piece.
  20. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have never waxed mine.....and didn't think there was a problem....just tap the blade on the ground if your worried about it. I am not all to concerned about carrying around contaminated snow customer to customer.xysport maybe I should watch out for that.