1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you scramble to get equipment in order by seasons start?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I always feel like its just me. Then i find out how behind other companies are with routes and equipment too.

I feel like were always adding trucks/plows, equipment, employees on call at the last minute and feel like we should have done it sooner. Yet even in September of this year, we had no reason to have even as much equipment as we had because none of their routes for 08-09 season were nearly filled. Is there any way around it each year?:realmad:

Most contracts start nov 15th of each year so technically were already supposed to be ready for service, if a 1' storm dumped on us tomorrow, id be up shiatz creek.

2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I get that period where landscaping is pretty much dead for the season, but the leaves havent started to fall yet so all I really have to do is my mowing and it leaves me with a lot of extra time. I used this time to get all of my contracts done up and taken care of, made my stakes, and got the vehicle ready to plow. didnt seem like a problem for me I just used my downtime late in the lawn season effectively.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get the equipment ready a little bit at a time when you are slow with other work.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Your not alone. I was lucky enough to put my plow on the night before the first event, but the plow fluid hasn't been changed, nothing was greased, I don't have my customer list printed, nothing. Im not really ready yet. But im not complaining, its starting off great.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

There are usually quite a few days during the fall cleanup season where it's too windy to effectively get things done..so those are usually my days to get the plow and truck ready. Today i finally got completely ready to go =]

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

My plow is still out getting blasted and painted! I just rebuilt the pump, and go it back together last night.

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I know exactly how you feel.

We thought we had everything in order. All the plows were taken in for service. Two new plows were installed early. Booked the dump insert installs and bought the tailgate replacement salters and everything still looked good. Then all of a sudden we get 5 more sites, the dump inserts are late being installed, salters are not hooked up and need service that I didn't foresee. Snow comes and we scamble. Everything ended up being fine, but so many things went wrong that should not have and I just wish we had had one more week. It would have been perfect. I think this is true for anyone that has an early storm. It is a scamble.

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

It is a scramble. I started getting ready in late MARCH and we are close but still prepping for this season which thankfully hasn't arrived yet. But snow is forecast for mon thru thur. yikes

9. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'm usually behind when it comes to getting ready for snow also. Not this year though. I've decided I'm going to make a concentrated effort to be ready early. What, November is half over already. Crap. Maybe next season.....

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Come June I start getting equipment ready, and when the snow comes all I need to do is put the plow on.

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I was in the shop till 3 a.m. welding on a wench to raise and lower the plow on my new mini truck. Went out at 5 a.m. to plow.

This year everything is ready and sitting there and I haven't had to use it yet.

12. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

1 truck ready to go, 2nd truck ready - put a brand new pump on and leaks terrible, distributor doesnt want to warranty it, so thats an arguement trk 3 ready with salt spreader ready, damn radiator leaking, pulled that out, needs new one so hopefully by wednesday thatll be back going, # 4 changed a couple parts on plow, changed fluids and worked great, started it up and now plow will hardly move + the steering gear box went out.. long story short I THOUGHT i was ready lol laugh or cry but keep on wrenching

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I don't care how early I get ready, nothing ever seems to be ready to go when it actually snows.:rolleyes:

14. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

yep- I still have a truck that needs the tranny rebuilt- money earmarked for that never came in, so until it does I'll have to use the truck from last year. !st storm came early this yr. Then as I hook it up, it won't go up or move the wings!! Call to a buddy clued me to a ground wire on the battery-thanks goodness. Try best you can, but always expect Murphy to come sneaking around..........

15. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm about ready, I have been spending every night from about 6pm to midnight for the last 3 weeks getting everything ready. I finally got my tracks off the skidloader today, but it still needs new tires. I have the plow trucks ready, if it snowed tonight or tomorrow I could plow but it will be tuesday before I have every thing the way I want it. It just seams like every year, I have to fight a little bit more to get ready.

16. SGC08

SGC08 Member

I might be the king of not ready. We're usually putting on at least one of the plows in the first storm. Work never seems to slow down enough for us to have time to get ready.

I thought there was supposed to be accumulation on the ground before you could start getting plows and spreaders ready.:jester:

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I thought I had a good plan of action. I gave ourselves a week to get everything switched over. We got 3 fall clean ups done then snow! We were sucking up leaves on a Saturday at 3pm and by 9pm we were plowing 8" of nice wet snow. My equipment and trailer are still outside. We've been hammered with snow, my rider, my leaf loader etc. are covered with over a foot of snow. Hopefully I can get that all cleaned up this week but they forecasted snow all week. I did get my plow serviced in August so it was ready to go.

18. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    Every year I say I am going to get the snow equipment ready in Sept. Well it hasn't happened yet. Just got done with leaves, Leaf box will come off in the am, spreader going on right after that. Got the plow out last week and checked everything, it works ok. Have to weld some new plates on my box wings, they broke last winter so I am trying to do that this week. Still have some lights to hook back after I changed the exhaust manifold bolts that were broken. Does it ever end?? I have to say I still love doing this job. Oh yea the truck is a mess and needs to get a good cleaning this week. Shop also needs a good cleaning so when something breaks this winter I can have a warm place to work. Just not enough hours in the day.

Regards Mike

19. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Man I don't mean to dog anyone here, but I am sitting here with three trucks just waiting for the snow to start falling. I have had all 3 done now for over 2 weeks. I know I am not in the landscape business so I don't have to wait on leaves and such. I am actually late this year compared to last few, but I have been busy with other things. COME ON SNOW!!!!!!!!!

20. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I think you'll love your mini. We fabbed a full hydraulic plow about five feet wide, but beveled off six inches on each end of the cutting edge so we can do four foot walks and wing back the snow a bit at the same time.

PS. We use a WINCH to lift things... and we do other things with wenches. JK!