1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you run over the front GAWR?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pinky Demon, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Just wondering. And if so, how is your suspension holding up, and how does it affect driving performance?

I got a non-snow plow prep package 250 that I am thinking of either mounting a Boss 8'2" V, or a Western 8' 5" MVP + on. The MVP would put it over, the Boss would not. How do you guys handle it?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You could put a 9'2" Boss V on a Ford F250. Even one with a diesel. A gas engine is much lighter and will handle it even better.

I'm not saying I run overloaded, but my Dodge with a diesel carries my plow fine..

3. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I was thinking of adding a leaf to all 4 corners come spring and bringing it up to 350 class anyway.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know about on a Ford but on a Dodge the front suspensions are exactly the same. I know, that doesn't help you. Let's see if some Ford guys chime in about the differences in front suspension between an f250 and f350.........

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It is my understanding that a 250 and 350 can be speced the same way.

My 350 has a lighter FAWR than my 250 does.

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

The newer F250 & F350 have the same rating in the front. Not sure what year this began.

7. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I have an older 02 with leafs in the front.

8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Well I have a Chevy 2001 2500HD w/ 8.1 with a utility bed and this weights 8000 #'s. I put 37-- 50# bags of ice melt in the bed and hang a Snow X 575 on it. Then I put a Meyer 7-6 foot blade on the front. I have not done the math.

Steve

9. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I have an 04 diesel and 03 v10 we added a leaf to both fronts and rub 9' boss plos just fine.
    I forgot where I got them but dont look for add a leaf kits they are 150$ or so I got them from a spring guy for 70 a set.

10. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

Going over the GAWR of your vehicle is not a good idea, while it may hold up fairly well during most driving it could also fail at the worst possible time.

The reason for this is GAWR is calculated to take into account the transfer of weight that occurs when you get into an emergency braking situation. With any vehicle weight will transfer to the front axle as you brake, the harder you brake the more weight is transferred, so what the GAWR says is we can safely put X lbs on this axle and still absorb all the weight transfer (Y lbs) that could occur in braking (which means X + Y is what the axle is actually capable of holding). What this means is that for every day driving around with no hard braking you'll probably be fine (since while your vehicle is siting it can probably hold more than the listed GAWR), but if you ever have to brake in an emergency situation (like needing to go from 50mph to 0mph in a few seconds) your risking a catastrophic failure of some front end component (whatever the weakest link is in your particular vehicle).

I looked into this when i was buying a second truck, it's the reason i didn't go with the truck i originally wanted because the blade i wanted would have put it over the GAWR.

PS GAWR is also based on the weakest component of the axle/suspension so adding leafs ect might not change the GAWR if that's not what the weakest component was.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  11. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

not a good idea to go over...... may be fine but on the other hand could be very bad.

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

From what I've seen, the difference between snow plow prep and non-snow plow prep is 400 lbs on the GAWR. 4800 vs. 5200.

My old plow weighed around 719 lbs. with the Ultramount and Ultra to Uni adapter.

The new MVP is around 880 lbs. steel, 847 lbs. poly which I am leaning towards.

It can't throw me that far over I think.

13. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

You cant over load a Ford's front end, especially with leaf springs for suspension....Your talking only 130 lbs....You'll be fine

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It would be easier to ask who is NOT over their FAWR.

Can you share your math how you came to this conclusion?

15. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

The Western might have its weight farther out than the Boss. Weight is not the only factor. Distance from the axle also plays into it. Edit Boss shows 770 for the 8'2" Western 880 for the 8'5"

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I used the plow match selectors on each company's website.

17. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

maybe we should start a poll.

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Better yet, how many even know what their FAWR or actual FAW is.

19. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ford's F250 and F350 axles are good for 6000lbs, the limiting factor on FAWR is the spring. They use the same axle in an F250 gasser as an F350 Diesel. Upgrade the springs to x-codes, add-a-leaf, or air bags, and you're good to go. Fords chew through ball joints regardless, plows generally speed them up a little though...

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I'm gonna see how the plow hangs, then I might go from there, and possibly do air bags on all 4 corners.