1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you request a deposit before you start?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Feb 20, 2006.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

How many of you request a deposit before you start your plowing season?

The reason I ask is, I have a customer (new) who went did not pay her bill on time. When I finally got some money out of her, it was partial payment and not the full amount. In the mean time I keep plowing just so that I have a reasonable chance she'll pay off the balance. But as soon as she's caught (or at least close) I'm asking her for to set up a debt account with me with a 300 dollar min.payup payup
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you should have late and non payment language in your contract. Stop providing her services, you'll never recover fees for them and enforce your contract. I have late payment fees and stipulate after 90 days of non payment the issue may be turned over to a collection agency which will be entitled to collect the owed payments and any incured fees for collection.

Never had a payment later than 30 days....
  3. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

1-Have already recovered 250 dollars (10 days past due)
    2-The rest (175)she says she'll pay a week from Wed. This won't be past 30 days but is past my 14 day limit by 4 days.
    3-Whether or not I get it, she doesn't get serviced without paying up and giving me a deposit.
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If it's sesonal I require 50% due at signing. Balance due Jan 1st.
    Per time/per push I give them 2 options:
    1. Bill after every event, payment due in 10 business days (I write date due on bill)
    2. Bill once per month with a $20 bookeeping fee added to total.

Has worked for me so far.

Does help to have language in payment part of contract for non-payments. Good area for a lawyer to help with wording.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you're doing per pass billing. Also sounds like an expensive per pass charge, or are you waiting to bill for a set period of time?

Maybe bill more frequently, as Snowmatt13 said, right after the storm, so the amount is smaller, easier for her to pay. Never done a deposit- never needed to consider it. I don;t think I would be willing to continue serviceing the customer if I needed to hold a deposit, unless it was a prepaid seasonal.... which might be a better option by starting earlier in the year for next season.
  6. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

I collect from my clients for the entire year in September. I use a three year plow day average to set my rates. It works good for me as well as my clients as everyone is happy. I do have a number who go to warmer climates and have house sitters so that is in my favor as well.