1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many of you get pulled over by police?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippoz, Jan 23, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz Member

im really up a creek on this one, im getting a 3 month suspension on my license starting in 4 hours.......
    i will however be able to have it reversed within the week, but if it snows before then i am going to have a real problem on my hand. in illinois if you recieved 2 tickets before you were 21 in any 2 year period you loose it. i had one 2 days before my b-day and one a year and a hlaf ago in wisconsin, really coming to bite me in tha ass... what a shame.

so here is the real question. how many of you have been stopped or puled over by poliece while polwing?
    where im at you dont need any special license to plow just a lijcense and basic liability insurance which i have...

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Never been stopped by the police. Why did you get stopped?

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

depending on your location and how picky the police will make a real difference. i have been stupid before, went around a courner, side ways, giving it a good amount of gas and there was a cop there. i straightened it out, and he didnt even bat an eye at me. most cops realize that you are making a living, doing your job and a service so they will leave you alone.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Often officers plow in their off time. I've found them to be pretty decent. I had one called on me yesterday. No problems from him but after our talk he asked what I typically charged. I think he was just getting pricing for his P/T work. I didn't mind sharing it with him. The only other run in I've had in 20+ years of plowing was another officer with questions about plowing part time too. I'm not saying you could safely take the risk if you are asking for the reason I think you are. I think that law that is haunting you is wrong by the way.

5. maintenanceman

maintenanceman Member

Yeah, i got pulled over last week. Snow on my license plate. Cost me $115.00. Middle of a snow storm but they were doing it to everyone that night.

6. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

never, 10 years driving like a mainiac. :eek: :eek:

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

maintenance man seems like the cops needed to make some $$. not a good way though, pissing off someone that could help you in the future. guess if you ever see them in the ditch you could ask if they will get a ticket for not keeping control of thier vehicle. :) but of course they are police, and like anything to do with the goverment or the state, rules and laws dont apply.

8. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

I ran A red by A cop one time at 3;00am. He didn't do nothing.
    But I've also helped them catch a drunk driver, fleeing the seen of A accident last year. Also pulled one out of the ditch last year. Sanded numerous accidents for them and the fire dept over the last 15 years. Plus over the coarse of the last ten years I called in and followed about five drunk drivers. I also see them every day on the road and always wave.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  9. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Actually while in route plowing last night I made a wrong turn, so I did a three pointer right in the middle of this small Y intersection. Who do I make stop while I perform my manuever but a cop. he slowed down for me, and drove past me as I waived.

10. zippoz

zippoz Member

thats pretty much what i figured, cops basically leave plowers alone. which is good. i wouldnt want to do it, but if i had to i would plow on a suspended license.
    i should have it back in a week or so after i straighten things out with my lawyer but if it snows in the mean time, im not about to lose my contracts over this.

11. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Indiana has a law about service vehicles and yellow warning lights. This is enforced by the state police....whom also tickets eachother. Locals are glad to see plowers out plowing....just use common sense and the police wont bother you.

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I have cops wave and smile when they see me driving along, I always figured they know im out in the crappy weather working just like them

BUT- its not getting pulled over I would worry about, if you hit someone or even if someone comes along and runs into you at a stop or when your parked- THEN you'll be in a messy situation.

you might be able to get a restricted license which covers going to work and school, plowing is work so you would be set

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Never been pulled over- not even for not useing my beacon at night. I almost never use it after 11PM until at least 5AM- only wakes up the neighbors.
    only time I had a problem with a cop was: I was parked on the sidewalk, mind you I had plowed the sidewalk onto my customers yard a distance of about 20 feet and my truck was half on the sidewalk half on the street idling while I was shoveling the drive, walk, stairs and clearing off the car, at about 2:30Am. the driveway is only 8'2 inches wide, and snow banks at the ends make it almost impossible to get into it with my trucks so I usually have to shovel (or snowblower but not at 2am). Cop pull up at the end of the driveway and turned on the blues before calling me over. He said not to leave the truck in the street it was a hazard to traffic- put it in the driveway. I told him (in a nice way of course) "If I could get in the driveway I wouldn't be shoveling it". After a moment of thought he asked why I didn't have my beacon on- "because at this hour it only serves to wake up the neighbors, since there haven't been any cars by in almost an hour- including city trucks" He then asks if I am going to be much longer- "No, another 15 minutes or so" He asked me to turn my headlights off while I was parked there so I wouldn't bother any on coming traffic that might come along and told me to have a good night. I have turned off the headlights every time since and never been bothered again- I think they just bothered him when he came by so he was going to give me a hard time.

14. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I rarely see police when I'm plowing...never been pulled over while plowing.

15. JMR

JMR Senior Member

To me the big question would be, are you really insured if your license is suspended. Most insurance companies aren't going to cover anything if an unlicensed driver is behind the wheel. Just a thought worth investigating.

16. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

:drinkup: Dont tell the nice officer to help himself to a cold one out of the back of the truck. :drinkup:

17. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Man, Zippo, you are a bundle of bad luck... Biting off more than you can chew plowing a butt load of gas stations, losing your license, what's next? Any good lawyer can get you your license back.

You must have done something pretty bad to get a cop to give you a ticket on a probationary license.

18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Never been pulled over while plowing or anytime for that matter. It helps to know all the cops in town though, they would never bother me and usually don't bother plowers around here. I did have a minor situation in the next town over just today, I was helping a landscaping company with condo complexes doing the spaces and such. There is this long road that the private condo roads run off of, the long road is a town owned and maintained road. It ends in a circle. Many of the guys running the bobcats had parked their personal trucks at the end on the circle so i parked there for a short time while i went over to talk to the manager to see where he wanted me to plow. I get back and see a cops expedition pulled up where the cars are parked and he is writing tickets :cry: So i yell to everyone to hurry up and go over there so we walk over and the cop is pissed! Was a real jerk about it said all the vehicles were going to be towed if we had not showed up. "this is town land" he kept saying, "i don't care who you work for". Just a real jerk making it tough for people trying to manage a "state of emergency" situation. We all kept quiet and let him lecture us about how to park :rolleyes: we were very nice and offered to move promptly. I did not say a word to him, I guess he thought i looked at him the wrong way and he says "iam letting you off easy kid, actually iam thinking of towing that truck and having it weighed, i think that plow puts you over legal weight limit". "Let me see your drivers liscense" "do you own the truck". I give him my stuff, he looks at it. He goes "i should have this truck weighed" i could not help myself i said "you got to be sh*ting me, you have nothing better to do". Well to make a long story short, I talked my way out of it, the property manager showed up and said that he told us to park there and it was his mistake. Cop is still pissed but we all got out of it except for the foreman whose ticket had alredy been written before we showed up. Cop was a complete jerk and we were all nice to him except when he was going to tow my truck and have it weighed. These cops need to learn to distinguish between ignorant ass holes and people doing their jobs. Nothing can justify us parking there, we were trying to stay out of the way of the bobcats clearing the spaces but the cop should have been nicer because we were all nice. Oh well, alls well that ends well, i still have the truck and my records clean. Its too bad a VERY FEW bad cops have to put a bad name on the MILLIONS of GOOD cops that protect us daily.

19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Unlicensed/suspended drivers in Illinois can't be insured. I know that if State Farm finds out that you have a suspended license and are driving a vehicle insured by them, they will drop you.

20. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Around here the cops pretty much leave us alone as long as we are being somewhat reaonable in speed etc. Most of the time they will wave or they are not around anyway because of the weather.