1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many of you do this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amcolandscaping, Dec 11, 2005.

1. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

How many of you plow twice for big storms. FOr example friday we had 11" I tell my customers I plow every 2-6" so if we have 11" I come twice and bill you twice. The full amount!! I had a new customer call me screaming and yelling that I billed him twice. What do you guys do? do you push all 11" at once and only bill once or do you go twice and bill them full amount twice?

Did I make any sense? I am tired :eek: :sleeping:

2. caz41

caz41 Member

I guess it would depend on what type of agreement you have when you set up the account. I can understand why the customer may be upset if he had no idea that you were going to do this.
  3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

If you do a 6" storm on Monday, and a 6" storm on Friday, you send a bill for 2 times. If you do (2) 6" storms on wednesday which would total a 12" storm, you bill 2 times. I bill per 3" after 6. 6, 9, 12, so on.
  4. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

On very large lots, i will plow with the storm if they are calling for 6 or more inches. usually hit these lots twice, its much easier to move 3" of snow than 6"
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah I think most people do that, I know I do.
  6. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

It all depends on your contract...We plow per inch 1-3 4-6 7-9 10-12 & 13+

say it snows 2 and you plow it 7 times you can only charge for the total snow fall which would be 2 inch. So that is why if you plow per inch make sure you know when the strom is going to end and the city has started to plow before going out, sometimes you have to go out a few times it's our job. It's not the customers fault you keep going out to keep it clear, so you can not bill them for how many times you went out if your contract is per inch.
  7. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

absolutley its in the contract most want it done before they go to work or when they come home . and if its still snowing you got to go back to clean up . or the city plow does the street and blocks the driveway and u got to go back and clean it up and we dont work for free . tell them to look at their contract .
  8. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

I agree it has to be in the contract..We do charge if they call for clean up or blowing and drifting snow it is a flat charge of $50.00 just for us to come out. The commercial accounts are all so different they are zero tolerance so billing is different than residential contracts.
  9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Push twice and bill twice. Or push once at 11" and charge double the rate. My customers get no freebies.
  10. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

I bill twice as well except the second time is prorated (usually $10 less than the first time). I have had good luck with this system. There are still low ballers in the area though that will charge $20 to push 12inches of snow:realmad: . Because of the intense snow rates and $hitty road conditions on friday, I will be charging as if we went twice even though we went once on some, but with the quickness of the storm, we were finishing the first round on both routes and we already had 12inches:gunsfiring: . I will be sending a letter to explain to the customers how it took us longer and have to charges accordinglypayup .
  11. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  12. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

I actually am reconsidering it because I didnt go to all twice, did about 3/4 of them though, I don't know. I don't want to upset the natives before the snow really startspayup.
  13. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

For driveways I plow once in between the ending of the storm (usually, always depends on the accumalations, sometimes once, sometimes more)... for parking lots, it is a lot sooner as a lot of the gas stations need it clean, and sometimes I'll make a couple passes by the pumps and wait till the end of the storm to touch up.
  14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Basically I charge a certain amount for 1-3" (not much), more for 3-6" and still a little more for 6-12". I assume 1 visit for a 1-3" storm when the storm ends. I generally assume one visit for 3-6 as well but if I want to get going early and end up hitting them twice I wont charge extra, I figure thats covered in my slightly higher rate. For 6-12 I assume 2 visits and maybe one to clean up afterwards. For anything 12" and over my "blizzard clause" kicks in, you pay just under double the 6-12 rate and get as many visits as I feel necessary. I like to be able to just do things as I want, I want to be in control of that 3' snowstorm and when I plow, I dont want customers complaining about price and telling me when and when not to come. I will sometimes adjust up or down based upon just how heavy the snowfall was but Iam not going to nit pick about how many times I have to show up during a blizzard, my goal is to keep all drives so they can be plowed by my equipment and I can make the money. Iam not making any money if I have to call a loader to fulfill my obligations to the customer so I am doing myself a favor by coming by so often. Hell last jan we got about 35" in one storm and I made a continuous circle between all my 37 driveways for almost 15 hours straight so it did not get ahead of me. I charged a flat rate and I was generally pushing less with less stress on the truck. I still made way more then double what I normally would with out hitting the customers up for some outrageous amount of visits.

I find my method to work for me, and keep the customers happy for the most part. Iam not a lowballer but iam not one of the expensive ones either.
  15. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

what i would do is maybe try charing a little more for the first time, then for the second time charge a little less than if you charged the same two times... cuse most people i know only charge one fee...say $20 for the whole storm, and yu would make no money like that...so say it costs you $15 to get there and plow it...charge like $25 or $30 for the first push then like $10-$15 for the second. That's how i'm probably gunna work it out next season when i start doing residential account...but the real money is in commercial accounts, charging by the hour is much better.
  16. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Plow with the storm

We plow what the equipment can handle with out tearing it up. Usually at 6 inches we send out the trucks for a complete plow. At 6 inches or the end of the snow fall we plow again. If you tear up your equipment you cant clear the lot. One time we got 24 inches of heavy wet snow. Most 4wd trucks could not plow it. It was front loader time then. What would the customer rather pay 2x with a plow truck or 1 time with heavy equipment?

We found it cheaper for the customer and we got the work to do there job 2x instead of waiting in line for a front loader. We have a front loader but use it for salt loading only.

17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I blow my drives every 4-5" that fall in a storm. This way, even in a heavy snow, the drive never gets too deep, and I can make more $. All of my clients prefer it this way too.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i charge twice, your right.:waving:
  19. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

I charge a per push price. Once there is enough snow on the ground that there lots become hazardous I start plowing. My customers that want there lots kept very clean get hit first. (I.E. storfronts gasstations upscale apartment buildings) after those I go through all my customers then I go back through my list hitting the majors first. Works good for me plus I am aware of which customers or on a budget( I.E. assisted living communities or senior developments) that way they can keep their lot fees down. I try to keep in touch with the customer. I try to do the best job I can on every site. Each year I pick up more accts and drop some that I dont make as much money on.
  20. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Make $$

the whole game is $$$ so whatever it takes... if its snowing like a bich,, then hit em twice. You wont worry what a customer thinks when your truck or plow is broken from trying to plow 8" at a push. (all wet and heavy):dizzy: