1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you actually get out of your truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HouseHitter, Nov 8, 2006.

1. HouseHitter

HouseHitter Junior Member
    from zone 4

I am just starting snowplowing this winter and am still sorting out all of the options to give to a client and what to charge. Thank you to all who have continued to post all of your experiences so us new guys can learn. My question is who, on thier route gets out to shovel something for a client? Front of a garage, walks, steps etc. and how much extra do you charge for a particular spot to shovel?
  2. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

HouseHitter, I used to get out of the truck for a couple homes, not anymore however. I used to shovel a couple sidewalks about 30-40 feet long for an extra $10. The average was about $2 a minute. If you like to be cold an get your pants wet from the snow, then I say go for it. For me it came out to be $120/hr, but when I am making around $250/hr I don't bother with the little trivial things anymore. This will be my third year plowing and with 2 350's and a 550 $10 is peanuts. However, if this is your first year, i would say try it and see if it something you might be able to handle. Don't forget when its 5 degrees out you might not want to be going outside. Let me know if you have any questions.

Fothe Landscaping,
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have one employee with me that jumps out when we arrive at a driveway/parking lot and starts clearing sidewalks and steps. If he isnt done when i'm done plowin', then I get out and help. Just quicker, and the quicker you are, the more you can get done!
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

POPO4995: Same here
    There shouldnt be a charge for getting out and shoveling in front of garage doors. Thats part of the driveway which we get paid to do...whats it take 30seconds to clear 2 feet out from the doors? and just backblade it out. I dont see why you should charge to do something that should be done as part of the driveway. But the sidewalks on the other hand are obviously an extra charge. Depending on length typically $10-$20 on average.
  5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hahaha...I thought you were going to say you just leave!!! LOL
  6. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

No Way

I have way too much work to do In a event of a storm to get out of my truck and shovel walks etc.
    Some guys do 100 pluss driveways a nite...Do you expect them to shovel too:dizzy:
  7. Yes i get out a shovel back from the garage and i also do the front walkway to the front door, max of about 10-15 feet. all customers have been very happy when they heard that. extra charge for the sidewalk. Mostly about 40 bucks for a two car drive about 50 feet long.
  8. 06HD BOSS

Only if people expect it as part of the contract. Say it snows 20" and you backblade infront of the garage doors but theres still like a foot of snow from the doors out to where you dropped the blade, you just leave it?
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Around here, I just give customers one price, which includes sidewalks. Most want them done...:cool:
  10. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I do shovel work to clean up what I can't get with the plow. I also do a few full sidewalk jobs as they are part of the contract that I offered. Next year I think the sidewalk gig is going to be eliminated and I'll pick up another account or two to offset the income loss. Time to work smarter not harder. ;)

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yep, i never get outa my truck, i have a few customers that come out when i show up and clear what i cant get, they just toss it out a bit, and i plow it up.
  12. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Everyone that works for me, including myself, is responsible for sidewalks at all banks, restaurants, strip malls. If the sidewalk crews did not get there yet they have to do them.
    And also treat the walks.
    Just part of working for me.
    We do not do any residential.
  13. HouseHitter

HouseHitter Junior Member
    from zone 4

Is this an example of certain regions getting a certain price? I hope so or else I just screwed myself on a couple of drives. Both are one car width up to around 100 ft then branch into a landing for a 90 degree turn in 2 car garage. Both are paved. Both can have snow stacked at the end of the drive and I bid them at $45 per push, 2 inch trigger. I got both bids. Am I low?

Another ?, just how close can you get to a garage door with a 8' fisher? Never done it.
  14. 06HD BOSS

If youre good within 3" or so. Towards the end of the route when your beat, play it safe and shoot for a foot or 2
  15. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

We use to send blowers with all of our drivers (including myself) and we would do all the overhangs, walks, ect that couldnt be hit with the plow. We were wasting time, and not to mention myself and the two other owners of our company, just do not want to get out of our trucks, call us lazy if you want. Well then we use to have a guy ride with us and pay him hourly, and he would get out and shovel when we got there and be done by the time we were done. Well we pay alot of drive time that way.

So this year we are having two sidewalk crews go out. One with just blowers and shovels, and the other with our tractor and blower. We have some large department stores with big city walks, and other apartment complexs.. no way im getting out to shovel a 4 foot walk 500 long. We will have more cost, but this way we can plow more places, use our guys labor more effiecently, and hopefully get things done quicker for our customers.
  16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have one commercial account this year that requires some snowblowing.

Probably about an hours worth.

I will most likely end up doing that account myself.

Normally the only time I get out of the truck to pee. Growing up on a farm has given me a weak bladder but the ability to unzip and pee whereever the need be. Side of the road, etc... :p
  17. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i get out at about every stop, although most of my accounts are residentials and like their steps as well as against the garage, with the commercial accounts, not usually depends on what it is, usually i just plow everything, then run the spreader up along the walkway under balconies and things like that.
  18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:nono: I get out of my truck to pee or eat !:nono:
  19. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

We do mostly commercial, many different sizes and some residentials. Here if you are not willing to do sidewalks as part of the commercial work, you aren't going to get it. Lot of guys here have that "I'm going to do it attitude". Can't tell you how many have lost work because of it. Thats okay. I'll pick up what they won't do.
  20. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If i didn't get out and shovel or snow blow the sidewalks i would just get called back the next day to do it because the city will fine the homeowner if the sidewalk isn't cleared. I do charge extra depending on how long it is and if the city plows bury it. Luckily i don't have that many driveway accounts that have sidewalks.