1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many of inch's need to be down before pushing 2????? 3?????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by App SnowRemoval, Sep 8, 2010.

1. App SnowRemoval

App SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from Boone

Just trying to figure what a good rule of thumb of inch's of snow need to be down before its worth plowing i mean it ant worth pushing if it has a inch down just want to know what most people do.
  2. App SnowRemoval

App SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from Boone

i know that commercial always need to be taken care of because of insurance risk i am just talking developments and res propertys
  3. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

3" is the trigger stated in my contracts.
  4. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

i do 3" res 2" for commercial their request.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

1 inch, residentials, and commercial, 2 inch road ways
  6. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Commercial between 1 and 2, resi 3
  7. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

We go out and start are commercial lots pretty much once the ground is white. Residential usually 2 or 3 inches.
  8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

My prepay 1/2" else 2" All resi
  9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It all depends on how much snow we are going to get. If it's under 8" I only plow once. But once you get over 8" it's harder to push so I will plow 2 or 3 times if needed. If tere is a storm were it only snows like 4" in a day and there is more predicted for the nite I will plow everbody out so when they get home from work there driveway is plowed.
  10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I have a few "zero tolerance" contracts that get sand/salt as soon as the ground is white. The rest of my commercials are 2". If it's snowing, we are out and about checking contracts. We might make a few passes to keep the front entry ways cleaned up but wait to do a full push until there is close to 2" of snow.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

whatever the trigger is.

1 and 2 inches. Anything else is just sidewalks and salt.
  12. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

The answer should be philosophically based. If you want to keep the account clean, you plow as needed to keep the lot safe for cars to travel about and people to get in and out of a car and to the building entrance w/ as little effort as possible (as long as this is the service the account wants) Resi's don't (most times) want multiple cleans, they just want to get in and out and have it all cleaned up when the storm is done. This is how you define the required service (individually) and charge accordingly. Remember you have to charge for your work based apon how many useable career hours you'll have in your life (to determin what you think you're worth ) and your hard cost ie; equipment fuel ins. extra labor etc.