1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many miles?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rawdog, Sep 21, 2009.

1. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

searched around a little bit, couldn't really find anything...just wondering how many miles some of you guys are getting out of 99-09 F250 w/ the 7.3?? How many is too many?
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

One with about 126K, another with around 102K and last one with about 69K.

None are 09's though, since they stopped using the 7.3 in '03.5.

I hope to run the first one to 300K, probably the rest as well.

New ones are too expensive and with all the newer electronic crap too unreliable.
  3. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

Thanks Mark...
    and yeah forgot about the 6.0L
    I was looking at 2 trucks 99 and an 02 both with 200k on them both with the 7.3 diesel (99 over 250k but only $5k)

trying to get an idea if its worth bothering for the low price tag even though the nada guide and kbb both have it around 9k

Also 100th post..senior member...awesome
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Fixed it for you.

I have one with 292k and one with 234k,

Both have needed nothing but glow plug relays and each got a CPS.
  5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I have 223K on my 96-(motors are the same). Don't be afraid of 250K if its been maintained. Most likely it has if it got that far.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Stick with the 7.3 PSD and you can't go wrong. I have driven the 7.3 about 20k a year since they came out. If it's taken care of 300K - 400K is not unheard of. The ambulance company I work for does not take them out of service till over 350K. Even with huge miles on them they run great. But they do throw a bit of smoke out in the right conditions. The Cam sensor, weak transmissions, rusting out oil pans and the turbo oil lines / seals are really the only problems you run into. It may need parts like glow plugs and controllers here and there but it is not a real problem.

HOLY SH*T BATMAN!!!!! took the words right out of my mouth... rusted oil pans is the bi**h!!!!!!! ive been in a couple 7.3 with over 400,000 miles and just the general things have went wrong..... cps, hpop, injectors.... nothing has been with having to go deep inside the engine!!! cant go wrong with a 7.3!!!! ftw!!!
  8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

its a international diesel they will go haha. dam my 5.4 gasser has 155k on it lol
  9. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Yup, especially if you follow what Ford says. Means pulling the engine after draining, flipping the engine over, prying off the old pan, put on new slilicone (no gasket), and drop 'er back in. Price tag can run up to $2000 from the dealer. Some guys on the Ford forums cut the cross member off, replace the pan, then weld new brackets to the cross member and bolt her back up. I posted links on this on another thread here on plowsite with pics on how it's done. That will be my plan once the JB weld lets go (if it does) on mine.

EBAY PICS (Small).jpg
    this is what the JB WELD looks like.... my truck was from upstate NY before i got it... the pan was leaking, not bad.... but enough to bug me...

steps for JB WELDING.....
    1... drain oil
    2... spray brake clean inside pan...
    3.... grid the hell out of it..
    4... more brake clean inside and outside the pan....
    5.... 3 boxes JB WELD....
    6.... get to mixxing and smearing
    7... apply two more times

this has been on my pan for over two years... NO PROBLEMS YET!!

i guess you could grind it and make it a little cleaner, but.....

EBAY PICS (Small).jpg
  11. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I got a 94 with a 351 and my oil pan isn't anywhere close to rusting out I don't think.
  12. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Common PSD failures-

Cam sensor (ebay $30. Cary a spare)
    Injectors - Usually 175-200K service life
    HPOP- almost never fail
    Trans- 175K- Stock torque converters are junk
    Rear diff input shaft $190- Last about 250K
    Water pumps- They usually warn you- drips coolant
    at 200K get your driveshafts checked- T-Case failures result
    Hub & bearing Assy- Lifespan Vary
    Glow plug relay- Every couple years ($50)
    Oil pan corrosion- Some years seem more prone than others.
    Glow Plugs- Replace every time you have the valve covers off for any reason
    Change engine oil religiosly at 5K. Trans 1-2 times/year. Trans case 1-2 times/year

The 7.3 is generally considered extremely reliable with normal maintenance. OEM and aftermarket starters and alternators are widely available on ebay with great pricing. I tend to eat alternators up in a season of plowing.
  13. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

So yours was leaking on the side primarily? Reason I ask is that it looks like you didn't do the bottom. Mine was leaking about an inch away from the drain plug. Also, you indicate to clean inside the pan, how'd you do that unless you pulled the motor, and if you did why not just replace it? If you did spray it inside, did you do it through the drain plug hole?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  14. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Just sold the 95 psd with 257k and still going strong (body rusted out) and moved into a 03 crew cab 7.3 with 202k. Just do the routine services and drive forever.
    I did have to change the idm, and had the trans freshened up (including upgraded torque converter) around 250k in the 95

yes, i did in fact go through the drain hole... the straw on the end really allows you to "shoot up in there".. be careful no to put the straw to far in the hole as it will come off and then you spend half the day fighting to get it back out... TRUST ME I KNOW!!
  16. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. There is another thread on here, where I contributed a how-to on how to cut and weld the cross member back in, which allows easier replacement of the pan. That's what I'll do next if mine starts leaking again:

17. tom's snow pro

tom's snow pro Member

I have a 2001 Ford f-350 with the 7.3 powerstroke in it. It has 220, 000 miles on it, and still worth around 15, 000.
  18. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

The 95- 97 motors were different ford fishermen. They were non intercooled and had different injectors, along with some other minor things. My 2000 has 163k on it and the only thing so far has been starter,alt,batteries. The only other thing i need to do is wire wheel the oil pna and POR15 it.
  19. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

My excursion 7.3 has 150k. I have done balljoints, torq converter and battery's. Just drive and enjoy. I run full synthetic Amsoil every where that i can too. I have bought and sold 3 or 4 that had deep into the 200k and they ran the same as mine.
  20. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I had a 96 with 266 on it. Still ran well but the trans was shot.