1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many miles on a Ford Tranny?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by powerreel, Apr 21, 2001.

1. powerreel

powerreel Junior Member

My automatic is going out with 60k on it! Ouch! Does anyone use a flusher? How many miles does everyone average before tranny overhaul and what type of terrain do you drive in?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have had Ford trucks with over 200,000 miles on them before I traded them. These trucks have plowed, and worked hard, as well as many easy high way miles. If you change your tranny fluid 2x time a year, and don't shift with out stopping. Your tranny will last a long time.

Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Im not trying to start a brand war,but 60K around here is about all you usually get out of one,if it was towed/plowed with.Most guys service them every 30K,which I feel isnt enough for HD service.

4. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

yeah a good friend of mine has a 97 auto psd dump truck f350 he is now on his 4th trani? 2 new ones and 2 rebuilt ones. 2nd rear end he did the chip on the shift arm last winter. but now he has i think about 150K on it. he pulls big chippers, goin off road, plowing, etc.

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand Junior Member

I've read that on the older Ford trans the E40D, which the new one is just a updated version, that every 15-20 thousand miles you should change the trans fluid, exsp. under heavy use i.e. plowing, pulling trailers....ect. But in general, speaking from someone who had to rebuild his E40D 3 times in two years and serviced it every 20k, it's not a reliable trans. and is my only real complaint with Ford trucks.