1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many miles can a hemi handle

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by chs1993, Dec 3, 2007.

1. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I have a 2002 dodge 1500 hemi 5.9l engine and was wondering if anyone knew how many miles the truck engine can handle i was thinking 150k?

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Should be in the neighborhood of 200,000. But its all in changing the fluids in regular intervals that really do a major part on longevity of an engine.

3. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

thanks thats around the ball park i was thinking

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

As the old expression goes, "Your mileage may vary". Some last forever even after being beaten on their whole lives, while others die early after being babied. You just never can be sure.

By the way, if it's a 5.9, it's not the Hemi. The Hemi is a 5.7 (there is a 6.1 Hemi also, but not in trucks).

5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

if its a 5.9 gas its a 360

and its hard to say, it all depends on how it was taken care of. and what fluids were used.

6. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Yes and the Hemi started production mid way through 03' in 1500 series trucks.

7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i have a Hemi in an '05 Jeep and the thing has been bulletproof thus far. She has roughly 60k on it and though we wont keep it past 90k I'm sure it would easily hit 150 if not 200. I would be more worried about the tranny then the engine.

8. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

'02 was the 5.9l 360. It'll go to 200,000 with regular oil changes and burn lots of fuel doing it. (we have one with 232,000 on it still running strong)

9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

its all about proper maintenance and using good fluids.

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

:dizzy: I love seeing the old style Dodges with Hemi stickers on them. I had a 99' 3/4ton 360 (hemi;) ) , that motor went at 60,000. I babied the crap out of it too. I quess it didnt like 3.55's and 39's, who knew

11. k-20 work horse

k-20 work horse Member

if it had 3.55 and 39's ur wernt babyin it lol

12. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

90% of engine wear occurs at start-up with all the oil sitting in the pan. The other 9% is high RPM abuse...LOL. How many times do you start your engine over the course of it's life and it takes 2 seconds for the oil to flow? 5-10 seconds in the winter with freezing temps. Multiply those numbers over the starts and what do you have? An engine running with no oil? Right. IT IS about the oils and filters you use. Have you ever tried to pour a quart of El' Cheapo oil in cold weather? I have...It just don't want to come out of the bottle...LOL... Think of that trying to be pumped through the engine:dizzy: I think you get the picture.....

13. TEX

TEX Senior Member

good point thats why i use amsoil in my truck. its great for cold weather.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Didnt piss pound it anyway. I knew it was working hard enough to turn the tires. I always turned the OD off, probably didnt help but...